Keet hatching experiment

Dmontgomery

Songster
Apr 1, 2014
Longville, La
Gertrude the Guinea started laying her eggs for the Spring on April 8. Since “rescuing” her and her mate, Gary, two years ago, she has had nothing but bad luck trying to hatch out keets. Hopefully, this year will be different.
Her first attempt in the fall of 2016 was in some DEEP underbrush on the side of a seldom used oil well service road on the edge of our property. I found the nest after the oil company came through and cleared the land on each side of the road so their trucks could pass. We were fortunate that the bush hog mower was set high enough to just miss her eggs. We were also fortunate that we found the nest before she started setting or the coyotes would have gotten her.
In 2017 her first nest was in a mall ravine in the woods. After a couple weeks we got 14 inches of rain and the nest was gone. Again fortunate because of the coyote problem. In the summer she actually made a nest in a pile of hay inside the coop! When she got the clutch up to 15, the snakes showed up and got them all in just a couple days. In the fall she again made her nest in the coop and proudly started to sit on a total of 25 eggs. Unfortunately, we had a long stretch of days with the temperatures over 100*. Then Tropical Storm Harvey dumped 32” of rain on us in 3 days. I assume the combination of extreme heat and humidity ruined all the eggs. A couple actually exploded in the nest causing a stinky mess. We ended up tossing all of them out when she finally abandoned the nest. I kinda feel bad for her. Nearly 100 eggs and no reward. But then I read how bad they are about protecting their babies. We live in an area where the ground is wet every morning from the humidity, so some wouldn’t have survived anyway.
I wanted an incubator for Christmas but got a pair of really nice pair of Duluth Trading work pants instead. I built a new brooder last fall to handle up to 20 chicks or 25 keets. So this year we are hoping for better.
Anyway, back to the original purpose of this thread! Gertrude layed 6 eggs, and then a Buff Orpington went broody. We put a few chicken eggs under the Orpington and waited a couple days to make sure she was serious about setting. She was! By then Gertrude had 8, so we put them all under the Orpington and put her eggs back in Gertrude’s nest so she would keep laying.
The next day Gertrude went to the nest to lay but a Black Jersey Giant was there pretending to lay an egg. Gertrude and Gary paced back and forth for most of the afternoon waiting. Finally, Gertrude gave up and got in a regular honest to God nesting box and layed her egg! Yesterday she layed in the nesting box again!
So now we have 8 guinea eggs under one hen and a guinea starting a new clutch in a real nesting box. We decided to let Gertrude go and see what happens. It would be great if she quit hiding nests and used on the boxes from now on. I can easily build a wood frame with wire in front of the box to keep newly hatched keets from getting out to wet grass and then scoop them up to place in the brooder after they are ready.
If you’ve stuck with me this long and read all the way to the end, thank you. You must really love guineas. Any ideas/suggestions you have to help me with this experiment would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe swap the eggs out with fake ones and incubate them yourself. Since you don't have an incubator, you could probably make one or buy one. I have a Hova Bator. It was easy to use hatching quail, they are pretty big, and most importantly, not too pricey!

I spend a lot of time in the spring and summer looking for those hidden guinea nests. The hens are very good at hiding them. If the nests are too far from the house I will take the eggs so she won't go broody on them. But if they are in the yard or close to the outbuildings I will let them set. Even then I've lost nests to bull snakes and cats. Or hail storms. So it's not very productive for me to let the guinea hens hatch them unless they are in the barn or henhouse.
Most of the baby guineas I hatch are in an incubator or under a chicken hen. Chickens make wonderful mothers.
But if your guinea hen is in a safe place and you can keep her and her babies confined for several weeks after the hatch, then some guinea hens do make good mothers. The male will also help her raise the keets if you let him. ;)

I’ve had good success (so far this year) in moving chicken hens and their eggs to my large brooder the day before hatching is due. We take the hen and her eggs and stick them all in a box after she is asleep. The next morning she wakes up in the brooder. I keep them all in their until it’s obviuos the mom has had all she can take and then we place her back in the big coop late at night again. That’s my plan with the Orpington and her keets. They should be able to handle the wet grass by then. I’m guessing they should start hatching right after Mother’s Day.
If Gertrude lays a full clutch and hatches hers, I’ll fence off the nesting area so that she could fly out if she wants. Then I’ll collect her keets and place them in the brooder. That would be 2-3 weeks after the first group so the brooder will be ready to go again. Given her luck though, I don’t expect things to go well.
I’d have to sell some off anyway, if everything went perfectly. We’ve already hatched out 19 chicks in the last 2 months. We are already at 60 birds and really shouldn’t try to house more than 70.

I spend a lot of time in the spring and summer looking for those hidden guinea nests. The hens are very good at hiding them. If the nests are too far from the house I will take the eggs so she won't go broody on them. But if they are in the yard or close to the outbuildings I will let them set. Even then I've lost nests to bull snakes and cats. Or hail storms. So it's not very productive for me to let the guinea hens hatch them unless they are in the barn or henhouse.
Most of the baby guineas I hatch are in an incubator or under a chicken hen. Chickens make wonderful mothers.
But if your guinea hen is in a safe place and you can keep her and her babies confined for several weeks after the hatch, then some guinea hens do make good mothers. The male will also help her raise the keets if you let him. ;)

My dogs usually find the nests that are in the woods. When they bring a guinea egg to the front porch I know it’s time to go hunting. I either follow the guineas or the hounds back to the nest.
I’ve read guinea hens are bad about running off and forgetting the keets behind by accident. We freerange our birds over about 10 acres, some of it deep woods. I’d be afraid her and Gary would take them out to graze and forget to bring them back.

Maybe swap the eggs out with fake ones and incubate them yourself. Since you don't have an incubator, you could probably make one or buy one. I have a Hova Bator. It was easy to use hatching quail, they are pretty big, and most importantly, not too pricey!

Yesterday, after I had already decided to try this, I had 2 people volunteer to incubate the eggs in their big cabinet incubators. If Gertrude keeps laying and the nesting box gets too crowded, I may take them up on the offer and try a dozen or so that way. Maybe the whole clutch and then my wife could sell half of them on Facebook.

Yesterday, after I had already decided to try this, I had 2 people volunteer to incubate the eggs in their big cabinet incubators. If Gertrude keeps laying and the nesting box gets too crowded, I may take them up on the offer and try a dozen or so that way. Maybe the whole clutch and then my wife could sell half of them on Facebook.

Not sure how the market is in your area but I have no trouble getting $5 a keet. I always sell every one I advertise and usually have more orders than I have keets. ;)

I am experimenting on hatching keets in my thread called Myth Busters, BYC style. Check it out in Random Ramblings!
Good luck on your hatching!

Well the experiment didn’t go exactly as planned but everything worked out in the end. The hen I initially placed eggs with, abandoned the nest after a couple days. (Actually she got lost and went back to the wrong nest after getting down to eat.) So we placed all the eggs back under the guinea mom. She ended up sitting on a total of 26 eggs. The first 9 hatched out last Tuesday and keets began to spill out onto the ground. She got down to take care of them and we put the remaining eggs back under other broody hens. 5 more hatched last Wednesday. So she was able to have 14 keets after all. We are so happy for her I haven’t wanted to disappoint her by taking the babies and put them in the brooder. Gertrude is being a great mom so far. I wish she wasn’t so I would have an excuse to take them away. Gary is even helping out teaching them what to eat.

Back
Top Bottom