Keet pasty butt prolapsed vent

ChickenMaman

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
Hey. My Guinea keets are 8 days old. I have 23. I have one that I noticed on day 4 had pasty butt. Cleaned it and treated with prep H. I clean the area twice a day under gentle lukewarm water. Then I take dry the keets butt and put it back in the brooder with the others. My brooder has low light and the other keets have not been pecking this one or shunning it. Now that we are on day 8, it is starting to smell foul when I clean it:

When I first cleaned the vent it seemed extended. I figured it was prolapsed. It has not improved despite cleaning and offering one waterer or regular water and one of electrolyte/probiotic water. This keet is low energy and hangs around the back of the brooder.

Brooder is 89 degrees: the keets show no problem so stress with the temperature and wander around the brooder (except this one). No treats other than free access to Gamebird starter have been given.

What can I do with this keet? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8837.jpeg
    IMG_8837.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8838.jpeg
    IMG_8838.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8839.jpeg
    IMG_8839.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 14
Hey. My Guinea keets are 8 days old. I have 23. I have one that I noticed on day 4 had pasty butt. Cleaned it and treated with prep H. I clean the area twice a day under gentle lukewarm water. Then I take dry the keets butt and put it back in the brooder with the others. My brooder has low light and the other keets have not been pecking this one or shunning it. Now that we are on day 8, it is starting to smell foul when I clean it:

When I first cleaned the vent it seemed extended. I figured it was prolapsed. It has not improved despite cleaning and offering one waterer or regular water and one of electrolyte/probiotic water. This keet is low energy and hangs around the back of the brooder.

Brooder is 89 degrees: the keets show no problem so stress with the temperature and wander around the brooder (except this one). No treats other than free access to Gamebird starter have been given.

What can I do with this keet? Pictures attached.
Personally, I would cull it.

Sorry. Decapitation with a pair of shears or scissors is quick.
Really!? Aaah, i might possibly have a keet that just hatched yesterday with a tiny prolapsed vent? Idk what you call it at this point but teeny tiny and dis bleed while I was cleaning it’s bum…. I don’t think I could do that either…. I. Also don’t want it getting toxic

Back
Top Bottom