Keet with enlarged head?

I have to agree. I've had bulging eyes, but not hydrocephalus. And if casportpony hasn't seen it yet I am not sure you will find anyone who has. I am sorry I am not of much help. Did you hatch this keet from your own eggs?

I have a day old keet with a bulging eye. It looks as if there is no eye socket and the eye grew on the outside of the skull, rather than being recessed into it. How did your keet fare? Mine is a bit slow and sleepy. In fact he sleeps standing up half the time. He is eating and drinking but come to think of it I dont recall seeing any poop. Im following the advice in another thread. I do believe it is a deformity rather than infection but due to his sluggishness just don't know. I hate separating him but if it is infectious I do not want to expose other keets.

I have a peachick that looks like that.

-Kathy

Kathy how old is your peachick and how is he doing? Mine is eating, drinking, and pooping but is sluggish. The saline wash was drying his eyelid out and his eyeball started to look cloudy so I went to eye wash instead and it was more gentle. I then used multipurpose corona ointment and by tonight his eye looked soooooo much better. I know that he cannot see and his behavior is a reflection of that but the ointment helped to soothe it and relieve a lot of swelling. If the eyeball is not vascularized it will rot in his head. That should have done began so I suspect it does have blood supply and wont prepose any further infection if I treat it and heal it now. I am considering buying some pullets as pen (coop) pals. Extreme measures for 1 little keet. I know. I know. You really cant tell me nothing. He's just so vulnerable and I choose to take on the burden of taking care of him though honestly I dont know if I know how.

Kathy how old is your peachick and how is he doing? Mine is eating, drinking, and pooping but is sluggish. The saline wash was drying his eyelid out and his eyeball started to look cloudy so I went to eye wash instead and it was more gentle. I then used multipurpose corona ointment and by tonight his eye looked soooooo much better. I know that he cannot see and his behavior is a reflection of that but the ointment helped to soothe it and relieve a lot of swelling. If the eyeball is not vascularized it will rot in his head. That should have done began so I suspect it does have blood supply and wont prepose any further infection if I treat it and heal it now. I am considering buying some pullets as pen (coop) pals. Extreme measures for 1 little keet. I know. I know. You really cant tell me nothing. He's just so vulnerable and I choose to take on the burden of taking care of him though honestly I dont know if I know how.
My chick is fine, but he cannot see out of that eye.

-Kathy

Thats great. I just dont want him being picked on by the others because of his eye. Hopefully his will also blend in as he grows.

How's he doing?

-Kathy

He was doing amazingly well until today. His siblings are 3x his size but he was keeping up. Today during flight training he got pummeled and his leg injured. I did an inspection and saw nothing out of place or broken. His wing was slack but again felt fine. He was extremely stressed though, shivering, and wouldn't move. I thought for sure he wasnt going to make it through the next few hours.

After fireworks I checked on him and he was eating and stretching the leg out. He was hobbling on it and trying to find a place out of the way. His siblings are insanely active and jump around a lot. They are already perching but clumsy. No matter where he goes, someone crushes him.

Trying to find a motherly hen. Hate to isolate him but its necessary with the huge size differences. I just am worried to do so because as of yet they do not shun him. I suspect removing him from the others, at this point, will illustrate to the flock his weakness. So far they dont notice his limitations.

Tomorrow I was going to blend some spinach, eggs, mealworm and probiotics so he can consume and absorb large amounts of protein and nutrients more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom