Keets arrived from Guinea Farm of Iowa. Pics included.

Ok, I’ve made a DIY mamas heating pad/hen cave. I scooped a bunch under there but only a few stayed. I also purchased a 100W reptile light.

They seem terrified of the pad. I’m terrified to not have another heat source. Will they learn to go under out of necessity if I remove the heat lamp?

You can see them lined around it.
Check the temperature under it, Make sure it is high enough above the bedding too, Just because the temperature on top of it is okay does not mean it isn't too hot under it. Under it is where it matters what the temperature is,

Not sure how well you can see this, it's a 12"x12" shelf wire that I bent to make a tunnel that in the center was prob 5-6" tall? I looped heating pad over and under it then stretched pj leg over all of it, making a fuzzy tunnel. I used REAL baby safety pins, the big ones that lock for diapers, and pinned ends of fleece together, so they couldn't get directly to pad or caught inside. 1st shows wire frame, 1st attempt, 2nd shows the best. 20211122_113544.jpg 20211126_164239.jpg

I'd just use the lamp. Guineas aren't very smart birds and I'd be worried about losing some. You'd also need at least several pads for that many chicks, especially as they grow.
Having the lamp doesn't really contribute to pasty butt either, overheating does but you'll know if they're too hot.
Put some ACV in their water. ACV isn't a cure all like some say, but it really helps get rid of the pasty butt. I got rid of it in all thirty keets of mine in two days.
Wash the poop off of their bottoms, so they're not blocked up. And put a splash of ACV in the water. That should help if they're still having issues.
They're beautiful babies, congrats!

I'd just use the lamp. Guineas aren't very smart birds and I'd be worried about losing some. You'd also need at least several pads for that many chicks, especially as they grow.
Having the lamp doesn't really contribute to pasty butt either, overheating does but you'll know if they're too hot.
Put some ACV in their water. ACV isn't a cure all like some say, but it really helps get rid of the pasty butt. I got rid of it in all thirty keets of mine in two days.
Wash the poop off of their bottoms, so they're not blocked up. And put a splash of ACV in the water. That should help if they're still having issues.
They're beautiful babies, congrats!

Do not add ACV.. It is harmful at high temperatures. It does nothing to help pasty butt. I personally conducted my own experiment with it and it made things worse not better.

ACV can interfere with the absorption of calcium which is a problem that growing keets do not need.

Do not add ACV.. It is harmful at high temperatures. It does nothing to help pasty butt. I personally conducted my own experiment with it and it made things worse not better.

ACV can interfere with the absorption of calcium which is a problem that growing keets do not need.
I was using a MHP, so it was just at room temp.
Really? I had been treating the pasty butt in mine for days and couldn't get rid of it. I tried the ACV as a last ditch effort and most of them were completely cleared up by morning.
I only had it in the water for two days, I can't imagine that would have had any affect. They grew up very healthy.

I was using a MHP, so it was just at room temp.
Really? I had been treating the pasty butt in mine for days and couldn't get rid of it. I tried the ACV as a last ditch effort and most of them were completely cleared up by morning.
I only had it in the water for two days, I can't imagine that would have had any affect. They grew up very healthy.
It most likely did not have anything to do with adding ACV. When I did my experiment, I went from one or two cases to 90% getting pasty butt with ACV.

ACV can work for people because of the placebo effect. The human mind is a very powerful tool that can make things work just because the mind believes in it. Animals cannot experience the placebo effect.

The temps here in VA are dropping and the red heat lamp is back in action. I feel more confident seeing the keets and seeing the temp. But I did order a large brooder plate for when they move to the outdoor brooder.

I know the roller coaster isn’t over. Colder temps predicted tomorrow. I think the house being cooler will be easier for me to manage with the heat lamp.

The temps here in VA are dropping and the red heat lamp is back in action. I feel more confident seeing the keets and seeing the temp. But I did order a large brooder plate for when they move to the outdoor brooder.

I know the roller coaster isn’t over. Colder temps predicted tomorrow. I think the house being cooler will be easier for me to manage with the heat lamp.
I think if you are seeing pasty butt, then they aren't standing in heat bc they are getting too hot. Keep your thermometer handy and adjust height to adjust your heat. Best of luck! 🙂

I think if you are seeing pasty butt, then they aren't standing in heat bc they are getting too hot. Keep your thermometer handy and adjust height to adjust your heat. Best of luck! 🙂
In my indoor setup, I don’t have a way of getting the heat lamp any higher. I have raised it as high as I can get it. Pic of setup attached.

I have also ordered a dimmer. Hopefully that helps while the keets are in the house.

Attachments

• E3DE62DE-952B-4031-8F01-F97D51949116.jpeg
    E3DE62DE-952B-4031-8F01-F97D51949116.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 4
I tried the ACV as a last ditch effort and most of them were completely cleared up by morning.
There has been tons of discussion on the use of ACV, and since I have only used it once a few years ago I never paid to much attention to the drama of if it is good or bad, then I found this. I am assuming( not always a good idea) that it applies to most poultry.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8136961/

Back
Top Bottom