Keets arrived from Guinea Farm of Iowa. Pics included.

Pics
There are at least four keets under the front edge of the plate in this photo. I’m hesitant to go higher since the plate is so far above them when laying down. But you are right: it’s a balance between making the space inviting and making the space warm.View attachment 3077859
Well I was thinking that it might help them get used to it, then they will grow a little and get more warmth from it. I love your squeaky clean feet pic above too! And look at those wing feathers! Are they flying yet? If not it’s any day now!

Ok, you have the Comfort plate- and looks like you learned to put cling wrap on to keep it clean. :thumbsup
That's radiant heat. I'm going to quote Brinsea again:
"warms your chicks is through radiant heat, which means that you won’t be able to measure the heat with a thermometer. Radiant heat passes through the air without warming it; it only warms solid objects.
The heating plate should always be safe to touch, so placing your hand on it will assure you that it is warming, and watching the behavior of the chicks should tell you whether they are happy with their brooder. Chicks will naturally huddle together if they are cool and will move away from the heat plate if they are too warm."
From an example I read, I perceive it this way: think of a day when it's not been particularly warm out, but standing in sunshine, you've said, "oh, the sun feels good." Or the dog has found a sunbeam to nap in, and if you snuggle him, he's nice and warm.
I thought at first that they had to be touching the plate. From my own experience, I hung one in the coop next to their roost, but none were actually touching it. Likewise, in the dead of winter with the door closed, it warmed me up if I stuck around long enough, and I wasn't hanging around w/my bum against it.
So I'm not sure we're giving the right advice, @R2elk ? - stressing thermometers with radiant heat plates?
Likewise, live bodies emit radiant heat, which is why I put the plate up this yr even though the temps weren't as cold as last yr. - because I was down to only 3 birds, so they weren't benefiting from the larger flock they had been.
I hope the more experienced wisedom joins in this conversation, bc I'm thinking 26 keets in an enclosed brooder w/ANY additional heat source are going to be warm enough if not too warm. Hence, suggesting you turn off the light. I would think you could possibly even raise the plate higher. They're healthy looking and curious, bright eyed, keep an eye out for pasty butt - but I'm curious what others think of my theory.

"warms your chicks is through radiant heat, which means that you won’t be able to measure the heat with a thermometer. Radiant heat passes through the air without warming it; it only warms solid objects.
You will be able to measure the temperature at the bedding level. The bedding is solid material and will become heated by the radiant heat.

The only place that the temperature is important, no matter what the heat source is, is the bedding level.

You do not have to measure temperatures and can use the hit and miss method of observing behavior. I don't have the time to wait and watch the behavior, therefore I monitor the temperature at the bedding level.

You will be able to measure the temperature at the bedding level. The bedding is solid material and will become heated by the radiant heat.

The only place that the temperature is important, no matter what the heat source is, is the bedding level.

You do not have to measure temperatures and can use the hit and miss method of observing behavior. I don't have the time to wait and watch the behavior, therefore I monitor the temperature at the bedding level.
That makes sense.

Ok, you have the Comfort plate- and looks like you learned to put cling wrap on to keep it clean. :thumbsup
That's radiant heat. I'm going to quote Brinsea again:
The heating plate should always be safe to touch, so placing your hand on it will assure you that it is warming, and watching the behavior of the chicks should tell you whether they are happy with their brooder. Chicks will naturally huddle together if they are cool and will move away from the heat plate if they are too warm."
From an example I read, I perceive it this way: think of a day when it's not been particularly warm out, but standing in sunshine, you've said, "oh, the sun feels good." Or the dog has found a sunbeam to nap in, and if you snuggle him, he's nice and warm.
I thought at first that they had to be touching the plate. From my own experience, I hung one in the coop next to their roost, but none were actually touching it. Likewise, in the dead of winter with the door closed, it warmed me up if I stuck around long enough, and I wasn't hanging around w/my bum against it.
So I'm not sure we're giving the right advice, @R2elk ? - stressing thermometers with radiant heat plates?
Likewise, live bodies emit radiant heat, which is why I put the plate up this yr even though the temps weren't as cold as last yr. - because I was down to only 3 birds, so they weren't benefiting from the larger flock they had been.
I hope the more experienced wisedom joins in this conversation, bc I'm thinking 26 keets in an enclosed brooder w/ANY additional heat source are going to be warm enough if not too warm. Hence, suggesting you turn off the light. I would think you could possibly even raise the plate higher. They're healthy looking and curious, bright eyed, keep an eye out for pasty butt - but I'm curious what others think of my theory.
Yeah the manufacturers of heat plates don’t advise you to use ambient temperature as a measure of heat plate effectiveness. I use my hand under the heat source and behavior of the animals to monitor. However, Bicoastal was pondering using the heat plate outdoors in cold weather. There I think that ambient temperature becomes more important because it would be hard on the keets to have only warm or really cold to choose from. They might not eat and drink well if the feed and water is too cold, plus drinking cold water would chill them. Also the plate might not be warm enough by itself for cold outdoor use. So once the plate is moved outside especially, I think that Bicoastal will want to monitor ambient temperatures and consider supplementing the plate with a heat lamp or oil filled heater. Keets are getting big though and temps are rising so maybe just the plate will do it? The heat plate alone is probably the safest from a fire safety standpoint. A few links that might be useful for Bicoastal:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/outdoor-brooding-from-day-one.75687/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fireproofing-the-coop.74945/

I raised the higher end of the plate and I'm seeing more keets casually walk under it rather than avoid it. I also raised the temp on the plate a little.

I admit the thermometer read <80 degrees this morning! I knew I was letting it get cooler to encourage them to use the plate. Behaviorally, the keets seemed good with three or four snoozing under the plate as the rest started to bop around.

I turned up the lamp dimmer and it is reading around 87 now. I do not think I will aim for 90 anymore. They seem to do fine even at 80.

The heat plate: I lay my hand on the straw under the plate and I feel nothing. Absolutely nothing. It is hard to imagine their wee little bodies feel anything when they lay so flat so they are quite a ways from the surface. But they choose to do so, so they must be getting some benefit.:confused: I disappointed in the lack of use given the financial investment and fire risk from the lamp.

They clearly prefer the lamp. I am afraid I would have to go cold turkey, remove the lamp, and hope no one dies during the learning curve. I am not sure I can stomach that. I am feeling very bonded to every single one.

I spent a little under an hour last night cleaning feet. Coconut oil was a game changer. No pasty butts! Two hopped to the top of their transport box, so it is time to upgrade. They are growing fast and starting to hop-fly.

Back
Top Bottom