Keets arrived from Guinea Farm of Iowa. Pics included.

Pics
Hmm, this poop does not look normal. What do the experts think? Cause for concern and action? Lighter in color, more caramel. I have introduced a small handful of mealworms twice. Maybe 10 at a time. No other change in diet.

In happier news, keets are three weeks old today!

Attachments

• 1D9B6FA1-9E10-4769-A99F-AD9C7DF994B8.jpeg
    1D9B6FA1-9E10-4769-A99F-AD9C7DF994B8.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hmm, this poop does not look normal. What do the experts think? Cause for concern and action? Lighter in color, more caramel. I have introduced a small handful of mealworms twice. Maybe 10 at a time. No other change in diet.

It looks runny? Do you know who it belongs to? @R2elk

It looks runny? Do you know who it belongs to? @R2elk
Looks like a normal cecal poop to me. Changes in diet can cause the color change. It really doesn't take much of a diet change to get a noticeable color change.

Right now some of the turkeys droppings are a really dark green. It is because they are eating green grass.

If you are adding to their diet I wouldn’t be terribly concerned. Are you giving them chick grit? They need that if they are eating anything besides starter crumble. And…. 3 Weeks!!! :celebrate

Sorry, not a joke:
Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N1) Virus: Recommendations for Human Health Investigations and Response

Summary

A person has tested positive for avian influenza A(H5) virus (H5 bird flu) in the U.S., as confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and reported by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on April 28, 2022. This case occurred in a person who had direct exposure to poultry and who was involved in the culling (depopulating) of poultry with presumptive H5N1 bird flu.

Starting in January, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) detected highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) A(H5N1) virus in wild birds in the United States followed by multiple detections in U.S. commercial poultry and backyard bird flocks [1,2]. Detection of A(H5) virus in one person who was involved in culling of poultry does not change the human health risk assessment, which remains low for the general public. People with work or recreational exposures to infected birds are at greater risk of infection and should follow recommended precautions. The purpose of this HAN Health Advisory is to notify public health workers, clinicians, and the public of the potential for human infection with this virus and to describe the CDC’s recommendations for patient investigation and testing, infection control including the use of personal protective equipment, and antiviral treatment and prophylaxis.

Thank you, Indiana Department of Health

Sorry, not a joke:
Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N1) Virus: Recommendations for Human Health Investigations and Response

Summary

A person has tested positive for avian influenza A(H5) virus (H5 bird flu) in the U.S., as confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and reported by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on April 28, 2022. This case occurred in a person who had direct exposure to poultry and who was involved in the culling (depopulating) of poultry with presumptive H5N1 bird flu.

Starting in January, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) detected highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) A(H5N1) virus in wild birds in the United States followed by multiple detections in U.S. commercial poultry and backyard bird flocks [1,2]. Detection of A(H5) virus in one person who was involved in culling of poultry does not change the human health risk assessment, which remains low for the general public. People with work or recreational exposures to infected birds are at greater risk of infection and should follow recommended precautions. The purpose of this HAN Health Advisory is to notify public health workers, clinicians, and the public of the potential for human infection with this virus and to describe the CDC’s recommendations for patient investigation and testing, infection control including the use of personal protective equipment, and antiviral treatment and prophylaxis.

Thank you, Indiana Department of Health

Yeah and we just had a commercial flock test positive in my state… Guineas are still locked up, poor birds!

2nd coop is up just have to do some work inside before Numi moves in. Anxious to get fence up, atleast in the area between the two coops. But we're having storms again so everything is flooded, can't do any staining.
Us too! We had the droughtiest fall and spring and now we have rain, lightening, hail and tornados! :oops: And that’s how I found out that my new Guinea run floods badly. I had just driven a 1,167 mile trip and came home to a flooded run and panicked guineas trapped by the lake of gross water. I had to push it out with a snow shovel. Now I'm looking at today’s rain and worrying it’s flooded again but I'm on my way to work and can’t scoop water right now. I do have a plan to improve the drainage but may need to wait for the weekend.

Are you giving them chick grit? :celebrate
Looks like a normal cecal poop to me. Changes in diet can cause the color change. It really doesn't take much of a diet change to get a noticeable color change.

Right now some of the turkeys droppings are a really dark green. It is because they are eating green grass.
@Mixed flock enthusiast, yes, they have chick grit.

@R2elk phew! And thanks for sharing your opinion. It was the lower one closer to the bottom of the "1" that looked odd. I can tell you it was super duper fresh -I saw it land- and was right after a period of mild stress. They had just returned from their transport carrier back to their freshly cleaned pen.

Since they are big kids now at 3 weeks, they have decided they will roost like adults when the heat lamp is off during the day. Apparently, they are also too grown up for the heat plate. They totally eschew it this week. But turn on the heat lamp at night and they are like moths to a flame. 😄 They return to being babies who like to pass out nestled together under a warm glow.

At what age do you think they can rely on the chicken nipples for water? They've had two types of waters for two weeks. This weekend, I watched when one was pecking: the inside of the plunger was wiggling around but I could not see on the keet's side if he was getting water. They certainly prefer the traditional waterer. But having two waterers in the outdoor brooder will be too crowded. I'd like to transition them to the chicken nipple before the move.

Back
Top Bottom