Khaki Campbell Question

matimeo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Oregon
Hi everybody,
Long-time chicken oficionado, trying to figure out ducks. I have two Khaki Campbell ducklings who were the same size when I got them (they were a week or two old). They're probably closer to 6 weeks now and one of them is twice the size of the other. My curiosity is if this could mean that the larger is a boy, or if I just have a runt/giant on my hands.
Thanks!

If they are around six weeks old, you should have an indication of the sex by the sound they make. A female will quack, but a drake will sound like it has a sore throat.

Size wise, no idea why one would be double the size of the other
idunno.gif
Are they both eating the same? Is the larger one hogging all the food? In adult KC's there isn't a huge size difference between the male and female.

When I brought home my four KCs, supposedly as day-olds, one was much larger and one was half the size of the two in the middle. I wondered if I might have somehow gotten one that was a week or so older. Now at about 4 weeks, they are getting closer in size. I sure wish someone could offer the answer.

Not sure on the KC's, but my Mallards were like that for a while. 1 was way bigger than the other & both were hatched the same day. Now at 6-7 weeks I can barely tell them apart. They are starting to both look like they are drakes at this point as heads are getting VERY green, so apparently it wasn't a male/female issue. Just like people, some ducks just grow faster than others apparently.

Back
Top Bottom