Kicked out of the coop! Reintroducing rooster...

chickenbritt5908

Songster
Nov 20, 2019
Oklahoma
Sunday morning we had a fox attack. I have about 30 birds, 4 of which are roosters. They have ALL gotten along as they were all hatched around the same time. That’s where I think I’m going to run into problems.
Sunday morning I had a dead rooster, a missing rooster, and two missing hens.I wasn’t feeling well last night so my boyfriend took care of the chickens, he let them out for a bit and then shut their coop. This morning when I went out to feed our animals, I was shocked to see Rocky, the missing rooster, in the coop. I was so excited. His comb was bloody, his tail was down. I assumed from the fox attack. I brought him in and put him in a pet carrier, he ate some scrambled egg and drank water. He was good to go. I let him outside and watched to make sure he was okay. The 2 remaining roosters have kicked him out. His comb was bloodied by one or both of them, not from the fox. Is it possible to reintroduce him? I’m assuming it won’t be as easy as it is with hens. I attached a picture of Rocky, and his brother the rooster jerk lol

Attachments

• 1B36E20C-2B3B-4068-9CDF-84286AE4A2FD.jpeg
    1B36E20C-2B3B-4068-9CDF-84286AE4A2FD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 3FC203F6-A588-4E3C-9C21-E115A330AC36.jpeg
    3FC203F6-A588-4E3C-9C21-E115A330AC36.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 10
It's all about making sure that their DNA gets to carry on. They don't want the competition that he represents. It's very unlikely that he can rejoin the flock unless they are free ranged or have an exceptionally large pen.

If there's hens around and multiple roosters its very rare they will get along very well.

Occasionally there are exceptions but eventually something will happen to change the status quo.

Back
Top Bottom