Killdeer eggs?

There is someone here on the forum that is a killdeer rehabilitator I believe. Or at least she is extremely knowledgeable about them. See if you can find her and PM her. Sorry I can't think of her user name.

Quote:
FYI Kildeer almost never lay their eggs in a safe location. Gravel driveways,parking lots, the middle of corrals with livestock. We have tons of them around here and don't think I have EVER seen a well placed nest. And I think everyone should not be so cranky about this. The eggs were not taken from the nest with the intent to keep and hatch them. And it sounds to me like the hatcher has a plan and isn't planning on making them pets. If you are concerned about getting in trouble a simple call to fwp would take care of things and I would bet they tell you just to not make this a habit. Again just my opinion, but I like to see people at least make an effort to save a living thing. If you really believe its all about mother nature then you wouldn't feed your chickens, house your chickens, water your chickens etc...just hope they are smart enough to figure it out on their own. And yes I realize this is comparing a wild bird to a domestic bird.

Quote:
chickens at one time weren't domesticated

Your point being?

That if somebody hadn't broken the rules before chickens were not domesticated we would not have domesticated chickens. So chickens are now not wild or the way they were meant to be, but is it such a horrible thing that we have domestic chickens now?

Quote:
Your point being?

That if somebody hadn't broken the rules before chickens were not domesticated we would not have domesticated chickens. So chickens are now not wild or the way they were meant to be, but is it such a horrible thing that we have domestic chickens now?

Really? Chickens have been domesticated for how long? Laws regarding wild birds in the United States have been in effect for how long?

I have tried real hard to remain unemotional with this whole situation and just point out some of the legalities and some of how nature works. Comparing domestic chickens with wild killdeer is . . .

never mind, emotions are getting in the way now.

Oh my goodness. There is nothing wrong with someone incubating a few killdeer eggs! When I was a teen I successfully raised several baby birds and it was great fun! Some people really need to lighten up.

I believe that the problem is not that the OP wants to hatch killdeers, is that what happens after they hatch. I bought a engine hoist about a week ago. I went and picked it up, and low and behold there was a nest of baby blue jays in the end of it. By looking at the amount of down, they were 3 days old. I considered taking it back and letting it sit for a few weeks, but I needed it for another project asap. Do you know how hard it is to find a wildlife rehab for baby birds? Near to impossable. Baby birds that are fledglings are one thing, but a newly hatched baby bird requirements are almost impossable for a human. Hatchlings require feeding every 20-30 minutes. For the first 7-8 days the hatchlings cannot regulate their temps. They will require mostiure, food, and warmth from the mother bird. It will take 17-19 days before they can be released into the wild.

Feeding.. Well that's a good topic. There are many rules of thought with one being feeding mushed up bugs. Another is wetting dry dog food and making kinda a paste. Using a tooth pick, or something along the same size, dropping a pea size portion into their mouth.

I made it to day 3 with my new hatchlings. Sadly with 3 people trying to feed them, up till 1:00 am nightly, and the next up at 5:00 am, We just didn't have the talent a mother bird has. Like I said, fledglings are a different story. They have either fallen out of the nest, or was evicted by their parents. These can be fed normal food, can drink water, and can be semi self caring however remember fledglings are being watched by their mama. It is part of their training on how to be wild birds, how to avoid preditors, how to find food. A fledgling is generally 10-16 days old. They generally cannot fly at this point and are often mistaken for birds with broken wings.

Hatchlings are a totally different story.

Quote:
I can tell pretty much the same story....except I was feeding them canned cat food (or dog food) that is in little meat strips....it was much easier to feed. Switched to baby parrot feed at the advice of a 'bird lady' but I could never get the consistency right.

The thing is though, we both found birds (mine were in a tree that we cut down...didn't know till after all the trees were down) These are eggs. They don't need to be hatched, they are still at the 'just an egg' phase. They need to be put back. It's not worth knowing you broke a law. This could be a great lesson for your brother! He needs taught never to disturb a nest.....he should put the eggs back.

Quote:
chickens at one time weren't domesticated

Your point being?

my point being is that we have domesticated dogs and chickens and bred them so much and cross bred them that we now have multiple breeds of chickens and dogs,,,, it is a law and it is illegal,,, but as people have said already a killdeer is very self-sufficient, so what if we did domesticate a few killdeer.... could what happened with chickens and dogs happen to killdeer??? THAT IS MY POINT.....

i think it would be a lot like having domesticated parrots.................. i dont think domesticated DOGS, CHICKENS, OR PARROTS IS A BAD THING,,,............. what about a killdeer

Back
Top Bottom