Killdeer eggs?

Quote:
Your point being?

my point being is that we have domesticated dogs and chickens and bred them so much and cross bred them that we now have multiple breeds of chickens and dogs,,,, it is a law and it is illegal,,, but as people have said already a killdeer is very self-sufficient, so what if we did domesticate a few killdeer.... could what happened with chickens and dogs happen to killdeer??? THAT IS MY POINT.....

if we wouldn't have domesticated these animals we would not have many breeds of chickens, or dogs................

Last edited:
th.gif

Can't we all just appreciate that people still exist with soft hearts and good intentions? Bless you for caring about 3 little helpless souls, and bless you for your good intentions.

I personally wouldn't raise a wild animal, but that's my choice, and while I don't agree with doing it, I appreciate that kindness still exists in the world.

big_smile.png

I agree that folks need to chill out. The OP sounds like a teen with a good heat, not a crazy hoarder with wild dreams of hatching and keeping wild birds as pets.

I found a nekkid baby bird on the ground once as a small child. I tried to feed it to my cat to "euthanize" it. She wouldn't touch it. Then I tried to throw it up in the air as hard as I could so it would die when it hit the ground. It just bounced and was still alive. My little tiny 6 or 7 year old brain couldn't comprehend twisting its neck. I remember sobbing my eyes out by the time I finally decided to just leave it where it was. I cried all the way home.

I see ZERO problem with a bit of compassion.

Kill deer are up and running around getting their own food within hours of hatching. The parents never feed them. They go back to mom for warmth, but otherwise are just running around eating. You can raise them pretty successfull on scrambled eggs and small crickets. You need to very their diet to keep them healthy, but they grow REALLY fast.

I had 3 eggs that went into a regular chicken incubator with chicken eggs. 2 hatched and did very well. We took them out into the yard on sunny days and they hunted very well without help. Eventually they moved into a little protected hut with a run until they were fully feathered, then we just left the run open and they lived in the yard. There were lots of kill deer around so I can say they were the same, but for years my grandfather couldint eat outside without one or two killdeer flying up the picnic table to beg for treats.

8 month
insects, mostly. They like beetles, caterpillars, grasshoppers, and fly larvae. They'll also take other non-insect "bugs" such as spiders, worms, snails, and crayfish. They eat a few weed seeds, bu Best Answer: You should never remove eggs from a nest. Just moving them may have been enough to kill the embryos if you didn't do it possible. Did you make sure to keep them in the same position you found them in? Keeping them in the exact same position and not shaking them, is really important.

The mother may have been hiding or hunting for food. If you were around her nest as she was coming back, she would have hid herself. You would never have seen her. Birds do leave their nests to find food and water.

It is really difficult to raise baby birds unless you know what you are doing. You would need an incubator to keep them at the proper temperature to sustain life. If they do hatch, you need proper hand feeding formula and they will need to be syringe fed. If they won't eat from a syringe, then you need to tube feed them. This involves inserting a rubber tube down their throat into their crops. If you don't know what you are doing, you can kill the birds by overfilling their crops, burning them or piercing through the crops. They will need to be fed every 2-3 hours or they will dehydrate and die. You can't miss a feeding because you are in .

While it is doubtful they will hatch at this point, if they do you must take them to the vets to be taught how to feed them properly.

In the future, never remove eggs from a nest unless you know what you are doing and have the proper equipment to take care of them. It sounds cruel but even if the mother was dead, it is more humane to let the eggs die. Letting them die before they hatch means they will not suffer from the moment they hatch.

I know you were trying to do a good thing but you may have done more harm than good. If you run into a situation like this again, call a wild life rescue organization. They are more prepared to help.t these make up only about 2% of the killdeer diet.

Ok I know this conversation is old. But I just saw. And killdeer are precocial birds. They are born with their eyes open and can walk soon after born. They don't depend on their parents like robins or jays. They are plovers. They don't feed from parents. They feed themselves. Hatchlings take 26 days to hatch and upon hatching they leave their no nest. Because its not a best it's a cluster of rocks or a tuft of grass. The mother will continue to protect it until it can fly. But other than that it doesn't depend on her anyway. And wild animals come up to people regularly. We are an invasive species after all.

The nest is really hard to see. You could be right up on it and not see it.
Killdeers don't have nests. They lay their clutch of eggs right on top of the ground, that is why killdeer eggs are colored or marked like rocks or pebbles.

If you find a nest of killdeer eggs leave them a long. Momma killdeers know where their babies are.

I once disturbed a killdeer who was sitting while I was putting fresh flowers on my uncle's grave. The "nest" if you can call it that was right besides my uncles head stone. Momma killdeer was calling me every evil name in the killdeer language and went fluttering away playing that old broken wing trick. I looked down and saw the nest clearly. Before I left the grave yard I went back to show the nest to my aunt and even though the nest was within a foot or so of my uncles head stone it must have taken me 5 minutes to relocate the nest that only minutes before was clearly visible when I almost stepped on the mother bird and I KNEW that she was incubating only 12 or 15 inches from my uncle's head stone. By the way, it was March and the ground was devoid of grass.. A killdeer's camouflage is that good.

I know. I got interested bc I'm at work and they stay in our parking lot. And I noticed one was harassing a cat so I'm pretty sure I'll be making a round one day and get hit in the face by a killdeer. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom