kind of sad

ozarkmomma

Songster
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
the ozarks
I had 2 extra cochin roos so I took them to be processed today. I made a point to not interact with them much as I knew they were going to freezer camp, but I am a little sad anyway:( This is why I won't process my own birds, I know I will never be able to eat them if I do the dirty work.

hugs.gif

Quote:
I've gone that route in the past but decided that we could use the meat. If I like the way the processing turns out, I plan on raising some meat birds. At least they're not pretty and it will be easy to NOT get attached to them.

Quote:
I've gone that route in the past but decided that we could use the meat. If I like the way the processing turns out, I plan on raising some meat birds. At least they're not pretty and it will be easy to NOT get attached to them.

No, they're not pretty but they have the sweetest personalities!! It was really hard not getting attached to them because of that. When we butchered our first batch I cried my eyes out.

I make sure to distance myself from the meaties, we haven't had any for a year since we moved we really miss the home grown meat. I'm glad to read that I am not the only one who can't process my own either.

I have 3 too many roosters, I already processed one and found it to be a pain in the butt. My stepson said it was good, my husband still prefers store bought and my daughter said no backyard chickens for dinner! The roosters are beautiful, but I can't seem to get anyone to take them, so someday soon I'm going to have to process them. I'm just debating how fat to let them grow versus the crowing factor. Although it also is getting harder the longer I wait, so probably this week is their last week. Also, the funny thing is my daughter named one Plumpy and said he should go first!

Last edited:
I processed a Polish roo this morning. He was becoming a problem and either I'd have to do it or someone else would. I really didn't want to do it. The poor guy hatched alone (though under a broody) and never fit in to the flock. He was kept from eating as much as he should have by them and terrorized often. He was skittish as he could be yet a jerk, too. From the time he was a week old, if he could, he'd rush at anyone. I got a couple new hens a week ago and he's been terrorizing them. So he just had to go. Never could find a home for him as a breeder, and he wasn't good quality anyway.

What I didnt' expect is that in the end, it didn't bother me. I caught him and held him and he put his head under my arm and relaxed right away, as if to say "Ahhh I never got this before, protect me!" And I cried. And cried. Don't get me wrong, I've processed chickens before. But this guy made the waterworks start. I just felt so BAD for him! So I said a prayer for him, that he never know the loneliness again that he did in this life, put him in a kill cone, waited for him to be calm, then cut his jugular and let him slip away peacefully. Crying all the while.

But once he was gone, I felt really good that I'd held him and talked to him beforehand and preparing him for eating didn't bother me one bit. That really surprised me. But maybe that's because I've done this before. My first one I ever did bothered me. I could barely eat it. This guy though, all I can think of now is how good he'll be.

So yes, it is kind of sad, but they had a good life and were treated with kindness and respect, unlike their commercially raised cousins. Like Saladin says, "My birds only have one bad day."

Back
Top Bottom