Kinda freakin out here, anyone ever had a false positive preg test?

rcentner

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Le Roy, NY
Being that I should have started last week or the begining of this week and I didn't....I took a test. I had calculated the fertile days and my obgyn said I would only have to worry on those days. I was supposed to wait a few months before actually trying to get pregnant since I just stopped my BC. so, of course, it came up positive. But I have lost weight in the last few weeks (not trying, just too poor to eat junk food) and I have not felt different at all. Infact, I experienced PMS last week!

I am really hoping that it is a false positive, after all I got the test for $1. It's not expired and I followed all the instructions. Says to retest in 48hrs if unsure of the results, which I will do, but I don't want to be freakin out for 48hrs! omg, was gonna have a beer! I also have a head cold and went to a party on sunday where I drank a bit, omg.

www.peeonastick.com has a lot of info on HPTs

In general there are no false positives. You used a dollar store test? They're very sensitive. They are the same kind used at doc's offices and hospitals. I had a pos 9DPO using one of those.

LOL, here is my advice. Go to the store and buy one of the expensive tests. No no, buy one of the 3 packs of expensive tests. Maybe a few different brands. Use 1 and see what it says. If it is positive go ahead and use another. Or twelve more.

JUST KIDDING. Not on everything....go buy a "good test" and try that. If it says positive, call your OBGYN on Monday so she can do the bloodtest.

Good luck
smile.png

If a GUY eats enough poppy seeds he can test positive... so don't freak until it's due.

Just hit me that perhaps that wasn't the best word choice... don't freak out until you KNOW... now about that?

I prefer to get multiple inexpensive ones, it's just a chemical strip after all, and if they all show + then I trust it. If only one out of five does... not so much.

Last edited:
I had calculated the fertile days and my obgyn said I would only have to worry on those days.

Your OB gave you VERY poor advice. Calculation of "fertile days" is approximate. Even if you take your temperature, use the fertility testing strips, etc. It's an educated GUESS.

I was supposed to wait a few months before actually trying to get pregnant since I just stopped my BC.

Another myth. That it takes months to get pregnant after BC. My youngest was conceived 2 weeks after I went off BC.

I have not felt different at all.

]

I had zero pregnancy symptoms with my first. I didn't show at all until 7 months, no morning sickness, no feeling of being pregnant, nothing. Not feeling different doesn't mean anything.

I am really hoping that it is a false positive, after all I got the test for $1.

With my youngest I got a lot of false negatives, never a false positive though. The test that finally showed positive -- which was just a confirmation of what I already KNEW -- was a store brand, cheapie from Target.

omg, was gonna have a beer! I also have a head cold and went to a party on sunday where I drank a bit, omg.

Don't fret about what's already done. LOTS of women drink before they realize they're pregnant. Few, if any, have issue as a result. I drank before I knew I was preg with my first. You'll be okay.

Retest in 48 hours, but I'd say... Congrats, mama!
wink.png

My ob/gyn said there are rarely false positives on the newer tests.

Wait a few days and test again. In the meantime, act like you are pregnant. No parties.

One of the downsides of the very accurate home pregnancy tests is they show positive for "pregnancies" that would have been passed off as a late period even 20 years ago. Not to scare you, or weird anyone out, especially those trying to get pregnant, but the very early pregnancy tests show positive for non-viable fertilizations, that a generation ago would not even have been detected.

Don't stress. Take a name brand pregnancy test tomorrow morning...first thing in the morning. I would call your OBGYN anyway. Also, if you are going to start trying...you should start taking the pregnancy vitamins...asap. Good luck.

I would stop freaking and start planning. I was told that if the pregnancy test says positive its almost a sure thing you are. False negatives are the only ones really commonly wrong.

Retest and if its positive then go see the doc and sign up for what help you can get so you can eat properly.

mom'sfolly :

My ob/gyn said there are rarely false positives on the newer tests.

Wait a few days and test again. In the meantime, act like you are pregnant. No parties.

One of the downsides of the very accurate home pregnancy tests is they show positive for "pregnancies" that would have been passed off as a late period even 20 years ago. Not to scare you, or weird anyone out, especially those trying to get pregnant, but the very early pregnancy tests show positive for non-viable fertilizations, that a generation ago would not even have been detected.

Agreed! I've had a few of those...wasn't going to get into my personal business, but you hit it on the head. My doctor told me up to 50% of pregnancies end in "miscarriage" in the first month where the mom doesn't even know she was pregnant. Awful odds, but interesting to know.​

Back
Top Bottom