Kinds of predators

I'm going to hazard an educated guess that your culprit was a raccoon. They can be very clever when it comes to gaining entry and will kill and eat a few birds at a time--usually ones easily pulled off a roost or out of a nesting box. Weasels, or their kin, mink, will kill and not eat, usually just lick up blood from wounds. Coons can easily squeeze through any opening they can get their heads through and seem to remember the return route. I had two that figured out they could get between where 6" of hardware cloth overlapped in mid-window when the window was open. I only caught them at it by using a trap camera or wouldn't have believed it. Those places where your fencing overlaps can afford the same kind of entry, just wiring them together in a few places won't work now that they know how to squeeze through. -

I see a lot of chicken wire.
With a tree growing thru it?
Coons just love chicken wire, they can bend it enough to get through it. And the tree makes a great entry point, just push their way around the limb. I hate them for the damage they do but have a great deal of respect for their ability to do it.

I read this while researching weasels.
[Weasel kills are identified by severed heads and severe wounds to the back of the neck.}
And the chick that was eaten was attacked on the head and eaten partially down the neck. The other one was just killed. This may mean it had it's fill or something scared it away.

I checked all the areas where the trees go through and they are very tight. Hopefully I have patched all the overlapping seams now. It's all just going to be speculation at the point. But I set my trap tonight and just because I catch something doesn't mean that was the culprit. Because we have all sorts of wildlife where we live. At least I can start by re-locating all the suspects.

I checked all the areas where the trees go through and they are very tight. Hopefully I have patched all the overlapping seams now. It's all just going to be speculation at the point. But I set my trap tonight and just because I catch something doesn't mean that was the culprit. Because we have all sorts of wildlife where we live. At least I can start by re-locating all the suspects.
It's very good that you know that...so you also probably know that you'll never trap them all....and if you trap you should kill, do not relocate.

Back
Top Bottom