knives for procesing

I don't think it really matters as long as it's sharp so that the job is quick and the bird doesn't suffer.

Will kitchen shears cut up a chicken easily? I used my kitchen shears with one I did last year and it was really hard to cut through all of that bone. Aren't there "poultry shears" out there that people use? I am also interested in hearing what kind of implements people use, either to skin, get or cut up the bird.

1. Heavy Duty Cleaver (not wal-mart junk)
2. Fillet Knife
3. Shears

For me the cleaver is great for dispatching and removing wings, legs/thighs. The fillet knife is great for getting the breasts and tenderloins. The shears I haven't used for cutting meat, but it's great for cutting the twine I use to shackle the bird.

Quote:
Can you give me an example of a nice heave duty cleaver? I am so bad with knives, mine are always dull, and I don't really know which ones are for which job. Considering how much I am in the kitchen I really have no excuse
roll.png

I use a hatchet for dispatching and hunting/cleaning knives for the rest. A skinning knife and boning/fillet knife do most of the job really well. The most helpful thing is for whatever you use to be really sharp.

I'd go with a fillet knife. That depends, of course on how you're killing and exactly what you're doing to the bird. If you're cutting the throat and then cutting the bird up or leaving it whole, you don't need anything heavy as you won't be cutting through any bones, so a sharp fillet knife will be perfect. However, if you're cutting off heads or cutting off breasts with ribs in, then you're going to need something heavier, like the hatchet and shears.

Back
Top Bottom