Kombucha- anybody making it?

Right now, since I brew in 2 one-gallon barrel jars, I remove the scoby each time to pour off the entire batch into bottles; with continuous brewing, I'll just pour off the amount I desire through the spigot and pour in new sweet tea (amount equal to what was removed), without touching the scoby or washing the jar out. I've heard that the KT is supposed to be better (we'll see) and there's less risk of contamination of the scoby.

If your KT is too sweet, you could try letting it go longer...it will also take longer if it's cool in your house. How much sugar are you using? More important than even the scoby is the finished KT you use to inoculate each batch - you want it nice and strong, and I use a cup per gallon. You can use multiple scobies, but the key will really be the previous batch's KT that you're adding to the new batch.

I use black, green, white, oolong, jasmine (green), and pu erh teas in my KT. Oolong is semi-fermented and pu erh is fermented. A scoby does best with at least some black tea, but you can make KT entirely with green (I'd recharge it with black periodically). You can even make it with yerba mate, but I would "recharge" it periodically, too. I'd just avoid any flavored tea (like Earl Grey, for example) because the oils can harm the scoby and possibly inhibit fermentation. Orange pekoe should be fine because that refers to the grade of tea - it's just black tea, despite the name.

Ladyearth, the warmers are available. Just the 7" tall one is expensive. The 4"' ones are definitely better than nothing. Look for "Heating Systems" at kombuchakamp. Like FoodFreedomNow said, it does need to be black or green plain tea. I use 3 Choice Premium Japanese organic green teabags, and 2 of some kind of organic black tea. Some people use loose tea; it is less expensive. But I don't care, I'm saving so much by brewing it myself.

I have seen the recommendations to brew in the bowls. That's to have more surface area, which is supposed to be better. But I've always used the glass gallon jars just because in my kitchen, something would probably fall in to that surface area. The jars have a smaller footprint and so far it has worked fine. Like foodfreedomnow said, it's important to have it at the right temperature (72-74 Fahrenheit is my preference) and use a lot of starter from the previous batch, or from your scoby hotel. Or even add a couple tablespoons vinegar to make sure it is acidic enough.

Foodfreedomnow, please update on how the continuous brew goes.

so do I need to start another batch with the black tea? so it wont "work" right? some you tubers and blogs said didnt matter
It (orange pekoe blend tea ,did develop a large scoby...
I have two batches back in the extra bedroom. the one is from 12- 2-16 the other 12- 6..... The big glass bowl brew new "scoby" looks "clear" not beige . It has the original scoby( I bought) and my first batch "big scoby" in it. so will it eventually turn "beige"?
The 1/2 gallon from (DEC 2nd) mason jar one looks good and I started it from THE leftover original bought "tea".I just tasted it not real sweet almost tangy. So can I just let that one ferment longer? Its almost midnight and too late to start another batch with Black tea .. this time
I did use lots of starter tea in both
HOW LONG can I leave my GINGER bug "go" before I use it? I started it

Actually, you absolutely can use other teas. My husband has a huge collection of different teas that he uses and I know he's used thai tea, orange blossom, Chai tea, white tea, jasmine tea, etc. We don't use a heater, either. We use big jars to hold our two scobies. I've never made a ginger bug, so I can't help you there.

Good info here!! I'm about half way through on my home attempt to get a good scoby going and I think it's looking good.
Will post a pic next week.

Good info here!! I'm about half way through on my home attempt to get a good scoby going and I think it's looking good.
Will post a pic next week.
Hope you grow a nice, healthy scoby. We'll look forward to your update.
1f642.png

Happy holidays!

I cant seem to get mine a little less sweet.... I know its rather cool in the house... presently I have 3 almost four scobies going.
Sure wish it could cure my flock of whatever they have.... preliminary report from state lab says mites and worms.. Wish I could get them to say "ah" and syringe into their mouths... Hope is tired of it all... esp at nite also want to try that "Conserve SC " I bought...on the mite problem
the blankety blank evil tiny tiny creatures sorry to get off topic. thanks all

Back
Top Bottom