Kombucha?

TadpoleBluff

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
I have read about feeding chickens the scoby from home made kombucha. I had been adding some of the kombucha to my girls morning feed and they ate it right up. Then I read some where that they shouldn't have it becasue of the caffiene in the tea. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? I use a black tea to make my kombucha. Thanks.

Interesting question. My RIR laid a blood covered egg a couple of days ago. My research indicates that she most likely had a fungal or yeast infection with a recommended treatment of prebiotics and probiotics. I've been giving her yogurt and the okara from making soy milk since reading that. I would assume the probiotic culture in the kombucha is probably beneficial. I doubt there's enough caffeine to harm them after the fermentation process. I also know a number of chicken people who swear by the benefits of fermenting the chicken feed. I wouldn't feed them too much of it but I'm interested to hear if any one knows of detrimental effects.

I have read about feeding chickens the scoby from home made kombucha. I had been adding some of the kombucha to my girls morning feed and they ate it right up. Then I read some where that they shouldn't have it becasue of the caffiene in the tea. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? I use a black tea to make my kombucha. Thanks.
We give our chickens the Scoby,but we do use green tea!

Interesting question. My RIR laid a blood covered egg a couple of days ago. My research indicates that she most likely had a fungal or yeast infection with a recommended treatment of prebiotics and probiotics. I've been giving her yogurt and the okara from making soy milk since reading that. I would assume the probiotic culture in the kombucha is probably beneficial. I doubt there's enough caffeine to harm them after the fermentation process. I also know a number of chicken people who swear by the benefits of fermenting the chicken feed. I wouldn't feed them too much of it but I'm interested to hear if any one knows of detrimental effects.
I feed my girls fermented feed everyday. They love it! Soon as they see me coming, they all follow me...my husband put up a piece of flashing that makes a great trough. I also have layer feed in feeders they can help themselves too and they free range.

Attachments

• 20200524_092711.jpg
    20200524_092711.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 6
That is a good question! Not sure about the kombucha itself, due not only the caffeine (which is actually higher in green tea, IIRC!), but the alcohol content, which can be surprisingly high in home-brewed 'bucha. The SCOBY itself, though, is bacteria and yeast...it might be just fine, but I am not positive. :/

Back
Top Bottom