La-200 and chickens? Possible pink eye?

Bigmac22077

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
I’ve noticed a few days ago I had a girl with some eyes stuck shut. I took a warm rag and helped her open them only for them to be stuck shut the next day too. She’s acting slightly lethargic and waddles when she walks so I brought her inside and she’s been quarantined from the flock. I went to tractor supply today to get some general antibiotics and ended up being recommended liquamycin LA-200. It gives dosage for swine and cattle but no mentions of chickens. Is it safe for her? Also it says it should be injected, but I’m not comfortable with that, is it possible to give orally?

I currently have her on medicated feed, vitamins/electrolytes. She’s maybe 8 months old now, but hasn’t started to lay eggs yet.

So I had JUST gave her rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes with lactobacillus, a pinch or two in a saucer of water when I wrote this post. She is now thruster her head up and opening her mouth as wide was possible. Doesn’t seem like she’s struggling to breathe though. Am I about to loose another chicken…? 😭

Last edited:
LA200 dosing is hard to nail down, you may find this helpful.

How is she doing now? Sounds like she may have aspirated fluids?
You mention you lost a chicken previously - same symptoms or different.

Does she have bubbles in the eyes, mucous, any coughing/sneezing?
Crop emptying?

It's very hard to know what's wrong with her. Do try to keep her hydrated. If she has bubbles or pus in the eyes, rinse them out and apply an ointment in the eyes.
Medicated feed won't hurt her. In the U.S. it usually contains a very small amount of Amprolium which is a Coccidiostat, not an antibiotic. It really won't treat anything with the amounts in the feed, but it won't hurt her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/

Back
Top Bottom