Lace cochin v Wyandottes

Rosekitten

Songster
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
Whatever reason I thought Wyandottes laid med or small eggs, but apparently they are the same size as the lace cochin but the birds themselves are easier to find. Is there a big difference between the two breeds over all? I was leaning towards cochin as they are heavier and I may not have to tip their wing to keep them from going over the fence when free roaming. But noise level and friendliness are factors I am looking into as well.

I have never owned either type of these chickens and wanted to ask here before I order any chicks. Most places seen out of the lace cochin and I can locally get the Wyandottes is even why I am asking now. If there isn't huge differences.. they have the look or similar look to what I'd like to get.

I've never owned adult wyandottes. I've heard mixed opinions as far as friendliness goes some say that they are so sweet and friendly and others say that they are aggressive. Usually people have told me that theirs are friendly but if you do get a aggressive one ( especially a rooster ) then it's evil. But that's just what I've been told I don't own any. But I have owned cochens and they are I my experience the friendliest of all chickens. I've never owned a aggressive one or heard of anyone who did. ( not saying that it can't happen ) but I can say that I have loved all my cochens and cochen mixes. But it's up to you. Maybe someone who has owned wyandottes can tell you more about them.

I have not owned cochins yet but i do have two wyandottes.
There is a huge difference between them to, my hatchery quality is super friendly but lays 4 to 5 eggs a week. She even sometimed lays in the winter.

My better quality(but she has a straight comb), is 25 weeks and hasnt started laying yet, im expecting the first egg super soon.
She is so friendly, she will sit on my shoulder as i go around the coop, and she has a hiding spot since she was the only pullet out of her hatch.

with your requirements I would recommend cochin. However for eggs wyandottes are better laying a medium amount of medium sized eggs while cochins lay a small amount of small eggs. Also recommend silkies.
ah ok, i had read they also laid large eggs, its not a requirement but I like large eggs better with how often I use eggs and the amount I cook at a time.

See I'm worried that silkies wouldn't do well? I'm in NC and it gets super hot during summer. I've heard so much mixed feedback on silkies staying alive or being hard to keep alive. The friendly aspect is more so I don't scare my kids out of chickens before they even really had a hand in it. I grew up with a mean roo of some sort we were given. But I grew up with other farm animals and cattle so .. after a bit and me carrying the roo like a foot ball we came to an understanding that he was not the head honcho of the coop when I was in there.

Ive heard about a lot of silkies not doing good in cold, hot or wet weather. But a friend has a whole flock of silkies and she hasnt lost one due to the weather.

Back
Top Bottom