Lady Amherst Pheasant

jab91864

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 3, 2007
Northern Michigan
Anybody on the board raise these ?? Can you tell me about them please and thank you.

My son who is 15 wants to try hatching some eggs and raising them. When he first brought up pheasant I thought he would choose ringnecks, but he has looked and read a little bit and decided the lady amherst were just too pretty and he wants those.

So whats the scoop ?? How hard to incubate, I found days but not temp / humidity of incubation time.

Thank you

Julie
big_smile.png

I have looked for Lady Amherst but could not find them. The closest thing I could find were golden pheasant. Red/Golden pheasant are equally as attractive.

Quote:
Have kept Amherst for the better part of the last 20 years, awesome birds and if these are going to be your first pheasants, perfect choice. Easy to hatch both with parents or in an incubator; basic info - http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/amherst.html

Currently
keep my pair in an 8x24 aviary with access to an 8x10 portion of the barn (my pair is in the pics 4-8 on the above link, out of Roman K's stock). They are very winter hardy, calm, tame easily, modest in demands... they really are the perfect "first" pheasant (as are the mentioned and closely related Golden)!! One drawback, the male's plumage is not fully attained until his second year.

I haven't incubated my eggs in a few years, have allowed the hen to do so herself and enjoy watching the pheasant family interact. She has been a great mother and anticipating her to do so again this spring.

They are fairly common and usually listed on the gbwf forum(seen Bud Riggs has some listed now), a wanted ad will certainly get a response.

Dan

Thank you so much for all the info!!! I feel better hearing from somebody who knows that it is a good choice!!! I am glad he didn't pick something frail....lol

Julie
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom