Lady Amherst Pheasants

ChickenPotPie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
California
I bought a young LAP trio for my son recently. The male had just molted his tail at the time and had begun getting his colored feathers/white head feathers. When can we expect them to begin to lay? April?

This is our first experience with them. How has your experience been? Do they go broody easily? Do you incubate eggs yourself?

We're going to be keeping this trio in an 8'x16' pen about 6' tall. What do you think of this? Adequate? On the small size? Large size?

Any shared experience is appreciated.

They should start to lay soon.They are fertile the first year also,but the male will take 2 years to get his full plumage.The pen size is good,give them plenty of tree limbs to hide and nest behind.
If you want more chicks pull the 1st clutch of eggs and incubate,then let the hen set(if she will) on the 2nd clutch.
Pheasants are only noisey during breeding season and then they are not that loud.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks a ton, Tony. We have tree limbs set aside for their habitat. Also a bush to hide under. I'll do just what you suggest for the eggs.
smile.png

Jenna, I LOVE the sounds the pheasants are making. They make pretty, and unusual chirps, little barks, peeps. Nothing loud....yet.

Last edited:
Quote:
Depends on the species and some can be quite loud. The commonly kept species such as Golden and Amherst (males) have shrill-type "scream" during courtship, but it isn't overbearing (unlike a rooster crow); the hens are relatively quiet. Ringneck have a call that reminds one of an old car horn (think of cars of 20s!!), also not overbearing; Silver and other Lophura species have rather quiet voices, but can occasionally be piercing. The loudest species would be the Cheer, Monals, Eareds, and Peafowl. Overall, chickens are far louder than most pheasants.

Dan

Can anyone tell me how to tell pheasants apart that are about 3 months old, the males from the females of the lady amherst and red golden. I know the lady amherst have grey legs and the red golden have yellow, but what about the barring on the tails, what is the difference in the male and females? I have heard you can look at the eyes, the hens are brown, the cocks are yellowish. All mine seem to be a grayish color. I would appreciate any info.

eyes dont yellow or white in amherst case til they are grown
chocolate brown eye in either are hens at any age, any other color is male. They start out blue then fade into yellow/ white on the two.

Hey i live in California and i was wondering if you by any chance have any LAP eggs or chicks you can send me or ill buy them when i was little i had one and it ran away and i would like to raise one or to please respond ASAP :) thank you please if you can

red golden males eyes will have a spot without feathers under the eye that looks like a tear drop and lighter color eye and female will have no tear drop under eye and brown eyes...here are some pics i found hope this helps
the second picture is the male hope this helps...see the tear drop looking thing...normally by one month you should be able to tell and from what i have read you have a good guess with this method more then 75 percent...when following this

Back
Top Bottom