Lame duck foot/Infection

fifenashia

Songster
May 15, 2011
Eastern Kentucky
Hey all, My 8 month old Pekin duck "Perry" started with a limp this week, I noticed it the day after Christmas. He was stressed out by me trying to catch him so I left him be and figured I would keep an eye on it. By Friday you could tell it was worse and last night he couldn't even get up to get away from me when I went down to lock them all up. I brought him in and let him play in a warm bath and then I inspected his feet but it does not look like typical bumble foot. The bath seemed to help so I slathered triple antibiotic ointment on his foot and carted him down to the coop.

It snowed all day today so I left them all locked up and just gave them fresh food and water.

Tonight I brought him up and gave him another soak and then had DH look closer while I held him upright. DH said it looks more like a "crack" like when we humans get dried heels and the skin cracks. It is definitely infected as his "heel" is swollen as compared to his right foot. But there is no scab on it. So I did a salt water compress and slathered it with triple antibiotic ointment and now he is sitting quietly in a box in a dog crate in my bathroom. I figured that was more sanitary than a dirty coop with wet poop straw.

Okay, now the question part!

Should we start a course of antibiotics to get at whatever infection is going on? I do have a tractor supply and we have used antibiotics from there on our Mallard after a nasty dog attack. I cannot remember what kind we used nor the dosage. The emergency vet on call helped me figure out the dosage chart but I never wrote it down (my bad).

Any help/advice would be appreciated! He is eating/drinking/pooping and very alert. Clear eyes and swims without a problem, it seems as though it is just localized to that one spot on his foot.

Here is a better pic i just took. I soaked it last night and am soaking it now with salt water compress. He still cant walk but he appears to be able to stand a bit better this morning.

Any help or info would be great here.

I guess there was a scab, on the inside on the swollen part. When i put antibiotic ointment on it this morning, the scab came off. Hoping that the ointment can really get to work now that its open and clear it up.

Foot looks better tonight, still swollen but significantly reduced in size. He is also more able to stand and put pressure on it although not for an extended amount of time. DH said visually it looked better. I will continue the current regime; warm bath to loosen muscles and give him exercise, salt water compress on the foot to draw out the infection and triple antibiotic ointment massaged into the foot in order to fight the infection.

Kind of disappointed that no one has any other advice or information for me. I felt pretty alone this week. Thankfully, Perry seems to be holding his own and improving.

Hi, just seen your query as I have been looking for help with a sillier problem. Can't believe no one has offered some advice! Just wondering how your duck fared and could you offer any advice?

Back
Top Bottom