Lame duck

Panamom

Chirping
May 16, 2020
One of my Pekins has developed a worsening limp, and now hardly move’s at all. This auto correct is liking me, no killing me.
there is a lump on The wing that Appears to have veins in it. Maybe bone as well. The lame foot or claw doesnt support her at all. She did take a fall two or three weeks ago and after this I noticed her impairment.
I put her on the duck pond to let her swim around every day, usually twice A day.
she is t nearly as large as the other two.

should I put her down?

How old is this Pekin and have you been supplementing with any type of niacin? like @nuthatched mentioned Pekin are one breed that really needs extra niacin in their diets and once they have a problem with their legs we have to bring out the big guns which is liquid B Complex. Even if this is an injury the B complex can be supportive while healing.
Can you put up a video of her trying to walk? also what type of fall did she have? I sure wouldn't put her down before trying the liquid b complex and giving her time to heal. TSC carries Durvet brand it's 1 ml daily over a small tasty treat. time to heal means keeping her in a small size area so she doesn't overdo water therapy and liquid B complex. The liquid B complex says injectable but we use it orally. @Panamom
IMG_2678 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi there, sorry to hear about your duck.
What's her diet? Pekins need more niacin than other breeds, she might need a supplement.
Same as the other ones, oats, sunflower seeds and other bits and bobs from the kitchen, corn, watermelon, nasturtium flowers…and feed For younger critters. I have 3 peki. Ducks the other two are fine

How old is this Pekin and have you been supplementing with any type of niacin? like @nuthatched mentioned Pekin are one breed that really needs extra niacin in their diets and once they have a problem with their legs we have to bring out the big guns which is liquid B Complex. Even if this is an injury the B complex can be supportive while healing.
Can you put up a video of her trying to walk? also what type of fall did she have? I sure wouldn't put her down before trying the liquid b complex and giving her time to heal. TSC carries Durvet brand it's 1 ml daily over a small tasty treat. time to heal means keeping her in a small size area so she doesn't overdo water therapy and liquid B complex. The liquid B complex says injectable but we use it orally. @Panamom View attachment 3529904
She is quite young less than 3 months. She is not walking at all now.

Ok I found it. I will upload a picture of the thing on her wing.
couldn’t do it, won’t work. IMG_0531.jpeg

Same as the other ones, oats, sunflower seeds and other bits and bobs from the kitchen, corn, watermelon, nasturtium flowers…and feed For younger critters. I have 3 peki. Ducks the other two are fine
Is that their feed or their treats?
Unfortunately, that's a very poor and un healthy diet if thats their feed. High in fat and carbs, low in nutrition and protein. high fat causes organ failure, laying and breathing issues
Chickens and ducks should not eat oats, they block vitamins and cause bowel issues.
Get some real duck food if possible and add extra nutritional yeast for the niacin.
You have to upload videos to YouTube or a similar site and link back.

Is that their feed or their treats?
Unfortunately, that's a very poor and un healthy diet if thats their feed. High in fat and carbs, low in nutrition and protein. high fat causes organ failure, laying and breathing issues
Chickens and ducks should not eat oats, they block vitamins and cause bowel issues.
Get some real duck food if possible and add extra nutritional yeast for the niacin.
You have to upload videos to YouTube or a similar site and link back.
They do have real duck food. The other foods are add ones. I thought it was a given.

Back
Top Bottom