Lame ducklings

@Medic324

Just checking in on your Littles .....how are they doing? Were you able to find some brewers yeast, or come up with any other solutions?

The white layer is showing improvement but the mallard is still quite weak. I started using brewers yeast with all the ducks right away and yesterday started dosing the sick ones with a niacin supplement orally via a syringe and some IV tubing. I'm giving the sick ones about 10mg of niacin a day each, plus whatever they are picking up in the feed. They don't seem to be going through much feed but the water is still consistently going down.

What does everyone feed their adult laying ducks? Will a typical poultry layer with supplemental brewers yeast work or should I go with more of an all flock type feed?

Glad to hear you are seeing some improvement! It will take time - a couple weeks perhaps.

Careful not to over-do the niacin, I'd not go any higher than the 10mg you are at.

I typically feed all my ducks 4 ducks and 1 drake) Southern States 18% Waterfowl Specialty (ordered through my local Agway) ... made specifically for ducks, and +/- $15 for a 40# bag.

When I can't get that (or forgot to order it), they get Purina Layena from the local TSC.

They also have constant access to free crushed oyster shell if the girls want/ need more calcium.

They likely will not need the added brewers yeast once fully grown, but since it won't hurt them, I still add it to my ducks treat bowl every few days as an added supplement.

Keep us updated! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom