Landing boards to reduce predation

mommaguinea

Chirping
5 Years
I have had a running battle with foxes as I noted before. Our birds roost in the barn and what SEEMS to work is a high area for then to enter and exit. The first three are the open side of the barn with the panel in place (panel can be opened all the way for barn and bird access) You can see that there is about 2.5 feet on top of the pen and above the landing board. The guineas use this to exit in the morning and enter at roosting time. When the panel is in place the foxes can not get close to the roost. The space eliminates having to open and close a coop.
Lower pictures are what I started with and now only used to grow out birds. The board can be left closed an opened once birds are let out to free range. Only one problem with either set up is when beginning to release birds, they have a hard time figuring that they have to fly up in order to return and have to learn this step. A lower entrance for roosting or returning has to be used for a little while, which is not convenient. However, they will learn in not too long a time.

I hope this helps stir some ideas for those with the same predator issues! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom