large breeds less likely to be taken by Coopers Hawks?

tandemrx

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Have been having some issues with Coopers Hawks this winter. Summer seems to be less of an issue as the hawks are likely less desperate, but this past winter we had 2 solid attempts to get our gals.

We were thinking of adding some chickens to our small flock and were thinking of getting a couple of Brahmas or Jersey Giants as maybe less susceptible to cooper hawk attacks on basis of bird being too big of a target. The coopers are already half the size of our easter eggers and in the summer the hawks will stand on our fence but won't go after the gals. This winter things seemed different.

Urban backyard, so roosters are not an option. Nor are many of the other suggestions I have seen on the forum.

Any thoughts just on the notion of a big breed being less susceptible?

I wouldn't count on it. Maybe once they are fully grown, and actually up to the standard size, but I had a hawk take a light male that was a smidge under a year old just a couple months ago. He hadn't put his weight on yet, but he appeared to be about the size of a full grown brahma male. Covered runs are the way to go.

FYI if anyone ever tries to tell you goats keep them away, that's a lie. I had goats and the hawks couldn't of cared less. I would say that I usually have less problems with the adults getting ate up than the juveniles when they are free ranging. One thing that I have noticed is that hawks aren't big on attacking past like two or four. When I do let my birds free range it's usually later in the day to cut down on the problems. Hope this helps!

We've a murder of ravens here though not sure if a group is called the same as their cousin crow but I digress. We get old bread and pastry from the local store for free and use that as feed for wild birds, it's attracted quite the raven following. Our plan here at new place is to use the small apple trees as cover and move the electric netting around there every few weeks in summer/fall. Between the tree cover and ravens hoping to keep losses at a minimum.

Almost forgot the thread focus. Younger birds are easy prey but any size bird is fair game if the hawk thinks it can take it without injury. An airial attack will kill outright or with larger birds at least maim leaving the hawk easy finish.

I've seen video of a hawk that landed in a chicken run. The hens/pullets ran into the coop for protection. The hawk hopped up the ramp looked inside checking out the situation only to proceed into the coop and grab lunch. If they'd a rooster the hawk would have left.

Last edited:
I've seen video of a hawk that landed in a chicken run. The hens/pullets ran into the coop for protection. The hawk hopped up the ramp looked inside checking out the situation only to proceed into the coop and grab lunch. If they'd a rooster the hawk would have left.
I would be furious if I saw that hapen to my birds...

Back
Top Bottom