Large Bumps won't go away on foot ???

Sheeba

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2018
South Central MO
Help if you can! See pics
I have a Buff Orp who has a foot that started swelling with these bumps that have grown over the past 2 months and will not go away and the poor girl can hardly use her foot. They are hard too and when they got off to a good start in the beginning I tried lancing the bottom and side of her foot and barely got any pus but came out with blood. Since then I have left it alone but it's still here and she still has a lot of trouble using her foot. Does anyone out there have an idea of what would cause this? Thank you for any advise or suggestions or ideas!
P.S. The pic with her raising her foot from a branch she was on is just dirty.

Attachments

• injured foot (2).JPG
    injured foot (2).JPG
    650.2 KB · Views: 24
  • injured foot (1).JPG
    injured foot (1).JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 17
  • injured foot (3).JPG
    injured foot (3).JPG
    658.5 KB · Views: 19
Can you have someone hold her while you take some photos of the swelling and the bottom of the foot too?

You did get pus out of it though right?
If you have vet care, that's always best. It looks like infection. You can try soaking in Tricide Neo to see if that reduces it - it will take a while though.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/513183/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo

Can you have someone hold her while you take some photos of the swelling and the bottom of the foot too?

If you have vet care, that's always best. It looks like infection. You can try soaking in Tricide Neo to see if that reduces it - it will take a while though.
Yes I did get pus out but not much and the bumps are quite hard if that helps you. I see since I asked this, something called bumble foot. Do you think that's it? The bottom of her foot looks like the one pic that shows that back of her foot. That's it, the bumps are not actually on the foot pad itself, just very close. Thanks for your help too. Oh, and remember, this started 2 plus months ago. She doesn't act like she feels ill either, just can't use that foot!

Last edited:

Oh Look Wyorp Rock! I got a pic of her underfoot. I haven't seen it in a LONG time and look at that spot under there. You think it's a nail or something that puncture her? Perhaps a spider bite?? But if so, why isn't she sick? I mean acting like she's lethargic and all? She seems to eat just fine but since she doesn't get around easily, she has lost some weight.
Well, I gave her a dose of amoxicillin i had on hand and soaked her foot in warm epson salt water. I'll do it again tomorrow only twice for the day as opposed to once that I got done today. Thanks so much, let me know what you think of this picture as far as what you can make out what it might be. Sorry, it's a bit blurry, I was doing this by myself. Oh, i'll be sure and get some of that Tricide Neo too

Attachments

• IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 18
She has Bumblefoot which is an infection of the foot. Try soaking in an epsom salts bath. Dry well, then apply triple antibiotic ointment and wrap the foot. Look at it the next day and see if that scab has softened so you can work it out.
Alternatively you can do "surgery" which may be needed.
Antibiotics like Amoxicillin can help, but they will not dry up the pus that's in the foot. Chicken pus is a semi-hard cheese-like substance that has to be removed. https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

upload_2019-7-23_22-12-59.png

OH Wow, I just sent you a mess earlier today, Wyorp Rock. I don't know when you sent this mess to me but yes, I have a ? 'bout another bump. [gosh thank you for checking back, thank you~!] Do I need to lance this knot behind her foot or will it go away as the days go by? She is doing well and seems to be getting a little better each day.
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    558.4 KB · Views: 8
OH Wow, I just sent you a mess earlier today, Wyorp Rock. I don't know when you sent this mess to me but yes, I have a ? 'bout another bump. [gosh thank you for checking back, thank you~!] Do I need to lance this knot behind her foot or will it go away as the days go by? She is doing well and seems to be getting a little better each day.
Thanks!!!
That one on the back doesn't look too good. I'm not sure if I would lance it though, can you get Tricide Neo and see if that would reduce it?

Back
Top Bottom