Large cat!!

Whoever took the time to take those photos is a cold-hearted soul. I'd have killed the cat in a heartbeat. I would not stand by and watch the cat attack and kill a deer like that. At the very least, I'd have run the cat off. Same with all the wolf attack pics you see in the magazines and such. I'd lay the camera aside and pick up the rifle.
Ummmmm they can't exactly go through a drive thru at McDonalds and order up a burger. You'd kill an animal for feeding itself and possibly it's young? Wow.

And I have to say those have to be some HUGE bobcats or small deer/fawns (Key deer? Young baby elk or something?) They also look more like Lynx than bobcats...I lived in Florida and bobcats are barely larger than a big domestic housecat. They're also not as "fuzzy". I like to see the wild ones doing what they do naturally. As I've said before, it probably won't be too long before all the wild predators are gone simply because of human encroachment or lack of prey. Which is a really sad state of things when you think about it.

And to the OP, I have a feeling your cat was more likely not *attacking* or rushing you, but trying to escape. You surprised it, it panicked and the only way past you was right at you.

Difference between a Bobcat & Lynx:

Bobcat--short ear tufts
Lynx-- long ear tufts

Bobcat--longer tail
Lynx--shorter tail

Bobcat-- banded tail
Lynx-- black-tipped tail

Bobcat--distinct spotting on coat
Lynx--distinct spotting in some species, but not all species

Bobcat-- shorter legs
Lynx-- longer legs

Bobcat-- small paws
Lynx-- large padded paws

Bobcat-- smaller and lighter
Lynx-- larger and heavier

My Grandpa always said, "don't underestimate a Bobcat."
old.gif

The food chain is never easy to see but thats how the world has always been. Animals have to eat other animals to survive like we eat plant/animal to survive. We just dont see it in person that often. I know if we looked at pics of slaughter houses & the people killing animals we would be even more disgusted. Humans are far more brutal that mother nature.

The food chain is never easy to see but thats how the world has always been. Animals have to eat other animals to survive like we eat plant/animal to survive. We just dont see it in person that often. I know if we looked at pics of slaughter houses & the people killing animals we would be even more disgusted. Humans are far more brutal that mother nature.

Very well said - I totally agree. Surely Chickortreat must have been exaggerating to emphasize how hard it is to watch another animal lose its life? If not, I wonder if s/he thinks people should be shot for killing in order to eat? At least wild prey animals live free and natural lives until the predator attacks. Most food animals in the US today live in filth and confinement, probably suffering for the better part of their lives.

No ma'am, I was not exaggerating. I'd have shot that lynx (it appears to me) in a second before I watched it pull down that mule deer. I am a deer hunter, and consider it in my interest to protect the herd. And before you say that is hypocritical, I spend time/money every year planting food plots for the deer. I'd bet the farm that lynx never gave a second's thought to the welfare of the deer herd.

What folks fail to understand is that certain predators are at the top of their respective food chains, and have no enemies to keep THEIR numbers in check. And to that end, I keep the rifle loaded at all times.....
Thank you for the clarification. Since you think it's your duty to kill lynx to keep their numbers in check and "protect the herd", it might interest you to know what the USDA NRCS has to say about lynx. This is not an animal whose numbers are not "in check":
http://www.mt.nrcs.usda.gov/news/factsheets/lynx.html

Thank you for the clarification. Since you think it's your duty to kill lynx to keep their numbers in check and "protect the herd", it might interest you to know what the USDA NRCS has to say about lynx. This is not an animal whose numbers are not "in check":
http://www.mt.nrcs.usda.gov/news/factsheets/lynx.html
I'm not sure about how clarified it is, as you still mis-quoted me. I said it's in my interest to protect the deer herd, not my duty. And no ma'am, it does not interest me. I'd not stand by and watch a deer killed by a coyote, wolf, lynx, bear, or any other critter. But that's me. You do things the way you like at your house.

Ummmmm they can't exactly go through a drive thru at McDonalds and order up a burger. You'd kill an animal for feeding itself and possibly it's young? Wow.

And I have to say those have to be some HUGE bobcats or small deer/fawns (Key deer? Young baby elk or something?) They also look more like Lynx than bobcats...I lived in Florida and bobcats are barely larger than a big domestic housecat. They're also not as "fuzzy". I like to see the wild ones doing what they do naturally. As I've said before, it probably won't be too long before all the wild predators are gone simply because of human encroachment or lack of prey. Which is a really sad state of things when you think about it.

And to the OP, I have a feeling your cat was more likely not *attacking* or rushing you, but trying to escape. You surprised it, it panicked and the only way past you was right at you.
I totally agree with you except for one point,,,,,,,,,,,,I am in Northern California and the Bobcats here are HUGE!!! At least 40 pounds, and much bigger than any housecat I ever had

That looks to be an elk calf anyway

Back
Top Bottom