Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
I have a question about cochins in the winter. They are supposed to be cold hardy right? I live in Northern IL and it can get pretty cold sometimes, around 0 at night. I was thinking of having 3 cochins in a chicken tractor in my backyard. It's fence in. I was wondering how they would do during the winter. I could put the tractor on the south side of the house where it would get the sun and be some what protected. I could even put straw bales around the tractor for insulation. WOuld this be warm enough? or would I need a heat lamp?

Boy this chicken stuff is sure addicting. I just got 7 babies last week. I love sitting and watching them. The white cochin is my favorite. Already decided to get a black and silver laced next year. Cant' wait! Do cochin roos crowe a lot? or how is their crowe?

Hi...A few new pics of some of my first ever hatch of chicks that are now 3 months old. I am so hooked on LF Cochins!! Constructive comments welcome! Thanks.

Pullets:
66186_img_3082.jpg

66186_img_3057.jpg
]

66186_img_3143.jpg

Blue Cockerel...his color seems a bit patchy to me...is he blue, splash?? He has some brownish/chocolate patches.
66186_img_3119.jpg

66186_img_3127.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! I have a trio of LF Cochins. I would love for feedback on them. I don't really know a lot about them and I would love to get some feedback on their quality. The pics aren't excellent--I'll add better ones asap. The splash is the rooster and the blues are the hens. They are about 7 months old.

64979_100_4316.jpg

64979_100_4321.jpg

64979_100_4314.jpg

Quote:
Darn - I wish I was an expert on LF so I could tell you how great that Splash hen looks to me. And the Blue a very close 2nd - the head on the blue in the 1st pic is striking! They're only 3 months old? WOW!

Quote:
I live in North Dakota where it gets -30. My cochins did fine in a coop that used to be an entryway to my house. I left the window open on most nights for ventilation. The rooster did get some frostbite on his comb, but not too bad. I think your chicks would be fine in the tractor with the straw -- I would forget the light and work on heated water and ventilation that's above their heads.

Good luck,

Becky

I am new to cochins and this site. I have 5 LF blue cochins 2 roos 1? and 2 pullets, They are 12 weeks old. About what age should the males start to crow? Love the info and the pictures! Will post pics when able, Thank you for your info:)

Quote:
They show some nice size for their age. Do you have any blacks in your group? The reason I ask is that the blues are too washed out. You'll need to breed them back to black to increase the amount of blue in the blues. The lacing is nice on the first pullet. She is just a bit too light. I love her anyway.

Back
Top Bottom