Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Quote:
I think so too. Are your "roos" bigger than the "pullets"? I have just three LF Cochins, a huge buff hen and two 3 mo. old Silver Laced and the SL roo is quite a bit bigger than the pullet. I'm new to LF and I think I'm going to really like them! I can carry the hen around like a lap dog and she follows me around the pen.

Well, here in Oklahoma it has been a million degrees for about 45 days. I have lost several large cochins and two bantam hens that were laying, just too hot for that activity now but very uncharacteristically the cochins are still laying. The young birds are doing well but I fear the heat may keep them from reaching their full growth potential. The partridge are still young and wild as the dickens, not too sure what is going on there but they are nuts!!! Hope they will calm down as they grow. There are so many pullets this year and the barred rock pullets have already begun to lay!! I have a few barred rock pullets that are looking really nice but the black and mottled cochin pullets are as nice as I have ever raised and they are many. Not too happy with the whites this year, the pullets are all willow legged which is due to using a black cock bird to make them 8 years ago. I'll have to find me a couple of good males at Indy to fix this recurring problem. I only had 2 browns make it to maturity and they are pullets and I also have several brown reds hatched but they are still very young and I can't tell how they will turn out yet. The browns and brown reds are still projects and have many more years of work before they are ready.
I can hardly wait for fall, cool weather and chicken shows; ain't life grand!!!

Blessings to all,

Bo

Bo, sorry to hear about your losses. There have been quite a few of us on the east coast that have lost birds to the heat.
My first 16 straight run Cochin chicks have grown quite a bit in the past 4 months, though I have decided that the gold laced are my favorites. Hopefully come spring time I will be able to start concentrating on just those. I"m looking forward to the fair this fall, and there is a swap coming up next weekend that I am excited to go to. Fingers crossed that I can find a nice set of Blacks.
I will be so happy to see fall time this year!

Quote:
Bo,
when you have time and opportunity I would like a discussion with you about your whites, I may be interested in a few pullets for a LF Columbian project based on the outcome of the converstaion. The leg color problem would be of little concern as I will be using LF Columbian Wyandotte with great yellow leg color as the male to cover them and introduce the color pattern I am much more concerned with type, tail great leg and foot feathering.

Quote:
Bo,
when you have time and opportunity I would like a discussion with you about your whites, I may be interested in a few pullets for a LF Columbian project based on the outcome of the converstaion. The leg color problem would be of little concern as I will be using LF Columbian Wyandotte with great yellow leg color as the male to cover them and introduce the color pattern I am much more concerned with type, tail great leg and foot feathering.

The leg color problem is improved by using males with good leg color. My males all have bright yellow legs and most of the females lightly willow tinted. I had problems originally finding white males to begin breeding these birds so after a year with just pullets I took the best black male I had and placed over the white hens, the resulting offspring were white, black and brown red. I culled the blacks, kept the best typed whites and brown reds and still have brown reds from that line although I am down to one breeding hen after one succumbed to the heat a couple of weeks ago.
On your columbian cochin project I would probably go with a Light brahma male as opposed to the wyandotte. This keeps your foot feathering intact and gives you the color you are looking for at the same time. Yes, the comb will be an issue in the first couple of generations but that is the quickest fixed problem in my opinion. Braham blood will also keep the size needed in the cochins. Just make sure you use the largest and best typed white females you can find, I have a few prospects that are very round and my whites are very large as well with excellent heads and combs. Tom Roebuck has the best whites in the country at this time and Paul Homer of Canada also has some excellent whites.
We are in the same state only a few hours from each other, I'll be at the Newcastle show in October and at Shawnee in December hopefully we can meet up there.
On the same note I am going to begin a large birchen project this next year and am beginning to get excited about that.

Blessings to you,

Bo

Quote:
Bo,

The leg color problem is improved by using males with good leg color. My males all have bright yellow legs and most of the females lightly willow tinted. I had problems originally finding white males to begin breeding these birds so after a year with just pullets I took the best black male I had and placed over the white hens, the resulting offspring were white, black and brown red. I culled the blacks, kept the best typed whites and brown reds and still have brown reds from that line although I am down to one breeding hen after one succumbed to the heat a couple of weeks ago.
On your columbian cochin project I would probably go with a Light brahma male as opposed to the wyandotte. This keeps your foot feathering intact and gives you the color you are looking for at the same time. Yes, the comb will be an issue in the first couple of generations but that is the quickest fixed problem in my opinion. Braham blood will also keep the size needed in the cochins. Just make sure you use the largest and best typed white females you can find, I have a few prospects that are very round and my whites are very large as well with excellent heads and combs. Tom Roebuck has the best whites in the country at this time and Paul Homer of Canada also has some excellent whites.
We are in the same state only a few hours from each other, I'll be at the Newcastle show in October and at Shawnee in December hopefully we can meet up there.
On the same note I am going to begin a large birchen project this next year and am beginning to get excited about that.

Blessings to you,

Bo

Bo,
I discussed this with Tom as well late last year and based on information on his whites at that time decided to pass on them for reasons he and I discussed, I continue to search for the right white to use, I know yours will be of good size and type, so that is the easy part teh questions i have are much better left to verbal discussions so I will see you this fall.

Hello Fellow Cochin Aficiandos!

I need your help! These little ones are from on last hatch on July 4. They are now 4 weeks old. My daughter has fallen in love with them. I afraid I have little roos and she is devastated. Please help me!

100257_100_5492.jpg

This is "Frizz" her little Black Cochin Frizzle. Tail feathers are well defined. (S)He developed wing feathers earlier than the blue (pic below).

100257_100_5490.jpg

This is "MaeBelle". I am 95% positive this is a roo. He is bigger than Frizz, just started developing tail feathers, but his/her back feathers are well developed. I desperately need this one to be a pullet...but I do not think it is going to happen.

100257_100_5499.jpg

Any insights on the FBCM behind the Black Cochin Frizzle would be greatly appreciated as well. I think (S)he is a pullet. Body and tail are nicely feathered. She hatched with feathers!

Back
Top Bottom