Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
im pretty sure that is a bantam, JMO

I have very nice type in my birds but never seen anything but a bantam look like that.

these are some of my LF and thats as close as I can get. good luck

Love your split mottled black roo ! What color is the roo in the first pic ? I have one similar here out of a black to black breeding that is similar with less color, recessive gene I'm guessing on mine.

I'm posting so that I can follow this thread.
smile.png

Getting a great egg count on two pens.
First pen is a Blue rooster from Bo Garrett's line of Blues hatched from eggs purchased last year over three hens from eggs from Jim Heintz and a hen from Carl Jarvis. Lots of big healthy Blue, Splash, yellow chicks....
Second pen is Carl's Blue rooster over the same hens. Some of those eggs are now in the incubator.

since no report is fun without pictures...I will post some soon of the 6, 4, 2 week olds and day old chicks.

Last edited:
What is the typical size of egg from Lg. Cochins? I recently acquired two hens and they both lay smaller round eggs..... I have only ever owned the bantam Cochins but these eggs are not much bigger than theirs?

What is the typical size of egg from Lg. Cochins? I recently acquired two hens and they both lay smaller round eggs..... I have only ever owned the bantam Cochins but these eggs are not much bigger than theirs?

Their egg size is not necessarily large, especially when you consider the size of the bird. Pullet's first eggs are often smaller at first and may increase with age. I think alot of the egg size depends on the line of birds you have, bloodlines. My adult hens lay a "large egg" for the most part. Have never gotten extra large or jumbo from them. Remember they are an exhibition breed and for the most part bred for appearance, not for egg size or quantity of eggs. Some birds lay more than others also, again, probably depends on the bloodlines of your birds.

Back
Top Bottom