Large, semi hard, crop on 2 yr old hen, help

Sunny Chicks

Songster
6 Years
May 18, 2013
So the past day or so, my hen Nyra has had somewhat of an impacted crop. she's been doing quite the intense "neck dance", and her crop is about the size of an orange. I can feel that it's somewhat hard, but mostly grit in there. I emptied her crop the other day as she was spilling liquid out her throat. she seemed good after that. I've tied giving her olive oil today, but the other girls took the piece of bread from her. also her droppings earlier today were mostly water or clear liquid, I'm wondering if that has to do with her crop issue. she's always had sour and impacted crop in the past, but I've been able to massage it through or empty her out. I'm worried this time. please help!

I also believe it sower crop. You must to insulate here from other chickens, you have to give here only water for the 24 hours no food et all! After this time you give her som smooth food like yogurt with some mashed boiled egg without the shell,(and don't forget the water for drinking) watch here carefully for another 24 hours if she is better you can give here som feed soaked in water, if she isn't better she must eat only yogurt for another 24 hours, and then estimate again her condition if she isn't Better It could be an fungal infection of the crop I think that you should Try an anti fungal Treatment try to give here Cooper Sulfate 0.5 gram in 1 liter of drinking water for 5 days. In the beginning you should use 5 cc syringe to give here water at least 3 times a day to be shore that she is having at least 15cc/day from the treatment. don't forget to enter 1 tablespoon of ACV to the water if the Cooper Sulfate that you will use is not acidified. if that won't work she will need surgery!

So the past day or so, my hen Nyra has had somewhat of an impacted crop. she's been doing quite the intense "neck dance", and her crop is about the size of an orange. I can feel that it's somewhat hard, but mostly grit in there. I emptied her crop the other day as she was spilling liquid out her throat. she seemed good after that. I've tied giving her olive oil today, but the other girls took the piece of bread from her. also her droppings earlier today were mostly water or clear liquid, I'm wondering if that has to do with her crop issue. she's always had sour and impacted crop in the past, but I've been able to massage it through or empty her out. I'm worried this time. please help!
Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

Has she been wormed with Valbazen (albendazole) or Safeguard (fenbendazole)?

-Kathy

Last edited:
If any of you reading this do decide to use copper sulfate it should be something like this:

Acidified copper sulfate is what you want to use if you're using copper sulfate.

I think @dawg53 knows the directions. Please don't use just any ole "copper sulfate", it should be "acidified copper sulfate". If you do use it, use in plastic containers, not metal ones. Same for ACV, no metal containers!

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom