Large wound what is to big? need stitches?

litredhen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
Vermont
I have a RIR hen with a large wound on left hip under wing. I believe from our Giant rooster constantly jumping on her? Most of the skin has been pulled away!!! Exposing underneath. Wound is 3 inches by 2 inches or so!! It has started to crust over but is not very clean. I will clean it out.
And I seperated her.

But how do I know if she can make it without stitches?
I don't want to bring her to the vet, can't afford it at the moment.
-sarah

I would clean it good and only use peroxide once as it kills new skin growth
then use a product called Beditine as it is for staring new growth to clean the wound
I fell and have been using it on my skin to grow a crust on the outside and then I use Meroclear and put it on the sores

this will keep the flies off ot and you will need some medication to gight infection

email me for some ideas PM me
I will be on line for some time now

she will need kept alone

I use iodine wash to clean wound and stitch them. You can get 3/0 sutures or use fly tying 3/0 silk. Then I give them 1 1/2 cc of BP-48 which is a combi-penicillin. I have a hen still running around with 50 stitches. She was thrashed twice and was a dirty mess! Any time they get a gash and I do not give them a shot of combi-pen they get infections and die.

Make sure that you clean it well and use betadine solution on it. Definately keep her seperated until she heals completely. You may want to use a "saddle" on her if she happens to be the roos favorite. This will prevent him from doing this again.
Keeping is clean and dry is important and watch for infection (pus and smell).
Hope she heals well.

Last edited:
You probably won't need to stitch it. I had a goat tear the hide off her side. The wound was about a foot square. I took her to the vet fully expecting him to stitch her up. He didn't. He just cleaned and disinfected the wound, trimmed off the ragged edges and sent her home with some ointment that I was to apply every day. It healed up with just a tiny scar. That was a goat. Chickens heal up better than goats do.

Back
Top Bottom