Lash egg (puss pocket)

arosenzweig

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2014
"Pumpkin" expelled something odd. Perhaps a "lash egg" which is a puss-like substance. I've attached photos, do you agree or have other ideas? If so, can you recommend a drug or treatment that might help?

She is the last of her flock and lives full-time indoors with us (free reign of the house). Want to do right by her, as best we can, so appreciate any advice you have for her well being.

Here's the full situation:

1) Pumpkin is at least 7 years old, perhaps much older than that. She was an adult when she came under our wing and I don't know her past. It's possible she is 10 or more years old.

2) While chickens never go through a real "henopause" (they lay eggs all their days but do slow down with age), Pumpkin has not laid an egg in over a year. Before that, she would not lay eggs much but she would have a streak that lasted about a month where she'd lay an egg every two days.

3) The lash egg came out last night while she was sleeping. I've never seen one before and so it might be something else. It's small, about 1.5 inches in diameter. It looks like a little white clump in a heart shape with two halves. I split them apart and crushed one half. It is surrounded by a skin with a meat-like material on the inside (visible in the attached photos).

4) Pumpkin moves normal. Her tail is high. She stands normal. She sits normal.

5) Pumpkin is not eating nor drinking like she used to. She has become very picky with her food. It's like she has cravings. She'll eat corn one day but avoid it the next day. She waffles between corn, raisins, sunflower seeds, cucumber, bread, and scrambled eggs. She won't touch her pellets. She won't touch millet which used to be her favorite! She has not drunk any water (or if so, very little) over the past four days. Note: she typically doesn't have that many treats and mostly eats pellets... but when she wasn't eating, I figured give her anything that appetizers her and, if these are her last days, let her be happy with her meals.

6) The volume of food she consumes is about 1/4 her normal appetite and her poop is about 1/4 as well. The poop is more watery than normal. Sometimes it's very watery, other times it's thick but more water than what is typical for her. It's like her food tract is moving, and crop emptying, but at 1/4 the speed it used to be. Her crop is mostly empty in the morning (not fully) but fills up during the day. As full as it gets, it's no wonder she doesn't want to eat/drink her normal volume... it's moving too slow through her digestive tract.

7) Approx. 2 weeks ago she started drinking lots of water (to the point of upchucking it) and then got very lethargic. I gave her 7 days of Doxyvet-P (four capsules per day). The active ingredient is: Doxycycline Hydrochloride. It's a broad spectrum antibiotic. If I'm not mistaken, that's in the tetracycline family which should be ideal for salpingitis (infection that causes lash eggs). In hindsight, it appears a good choice but I had no idea she had oviduct problems at the time.

8) 4 days ago she was straining, making pushing noises, and not happy. Her vent was palpating (moving quickly). I put on a glove with KY jelly and stuck a finger in her vent. I thought I felt an egg, like the top of the shell... it felt solid. I thought she was egg bound! But then when my wife tried, and then I immediately tried again, it was gone! So I'm second guessing that I felt an egg. I don't know. I can't imagine she could suck it back in but maybe she did. I'm confused about that.

9) Pumpkin has had warm baths with epson salts twice per day for the last 3 days. She likes it, but no egg came out. Probably she is not egg bound... I'm now thinking she has an infection in the oviduct and was likely straining to get out a small lash egg (the one that came out last night).

10) Today we started a new antibiotic: Premoxil 550. The three active ingredients are: Tylosin Phosphate, Amoxicillin Trihydrate, Paracetamol. Not sure if that's a good idea or if I should give her another round of Doxyvet-p, something else, or stop medicating altogether. It's just that since I saw the lash egg this morning, I figure she may still be struggling with an infection in the oviduct. The infection could be viral in origin, which would mean antibiotic won't help.

My mind is full of thoughts. Maybe she has cancer near or in the ovaries. Maybe there are other lash eggs stuck in the oviduct, which are getting larger, and pushing on her intestines and other organs making her not want to eat/drink. Maybe it's time to say good bye to our feathered friend :-( But maybe, just maybe, you have insight that could extend her life.

Thanks for listening to Pumpkin's story and appreciate any advice you can offer.

Attachments

• PXL_20220503_123949999.jpg
    PXL_20220503_123949999.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20220503_123740933.jpg
    PXL_20220503_123740933.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 25
It does look like lash material. Does her abdomen feel bloated? Salpingitis is notorious for being unresponsive to treatment. If it's caught very early some say treatment has been successful, unfortunately it's usually been going on for a while before it's known, some birds it's not known until they pass and a necropsy is done. They are very, very good at hiding the symptoms. I've treated several birds, various different medications, I've maybe bought them some time, but I've not had one recover. I've had a couple last for a fair amount of time, some others have passed quickly. Usually Baytril (enrofloxacin) is the recommended antibiotic, injectable is only available from a vet, you can get oral medication through pigeon suppliers (Jedds is one). It's banned in poultry but for a pet some vets will prescribe. That's if you want to try. When I know that's what it is I often don't treat anymore, I just leave them with the flock until they are obviously not feeling well, not eating or drinking well, then I euthanize. If vet care is an option for you and you want to try to treat, then they can recommend the best antibiotic that it might respond to.
More on salpingitis here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

It does look like lash material. Does her abdomen feel bloated? Salpingitis is notorious for being unresponsive to treatment. If it's caught very early some say treatment has been successful, unfortunately it's usually been going on for a while before it's known, some birds it's not known until they pass and a necropsy is done. They are very, very good at hiding the symptoms. I've treated several birds, various different medications, I've maybe bought them some time, but I've not had one recover. I've had a couple last for a fair amount of time, some others have passed quickly. Usually Baytril (enrofloxacin) is the recommended antibiotic, injectable is only available from a vet, you can get oral medication through pigeon suppliers (Jedds is one). It's banned in poultry but for a pet some vets will prescribe. That's if you want to try. When I know that's what it is I often don't treat anymore, I just leave them with the flock until they are obviously not feeling well, not eating or drinking well, then I euthanize. If vet care is an option for you and you want to try to treat, then they can recommend the best antibiotic that it might respond to.
More on salpingitis here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
Thanks Coach723. Wise words. Probably best to just make her as comfortable as possible until the end. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Today Pumpkin made another lash egg of similar size (see attached). Her appetite and willingness to drink has improved :)

Attachments

• PXL_20220505_122401539.jpg
    PXL_20220505_122401539.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 25
If the Tetracycline didn't work I would try Baytril. Definitely worth a shot. One of mine laid a few of these roughly 18 months ago and she was put on a course of Baytril for 10 days (if I remember correctly) and she is still with me now. The dosage is 0.2 ml once per day if using the 10percent liquid solution. That's the average dosage for a 2kg hen. You could also give her Turmeric paste for the inflammation. Look up Turmeric paste Dr Doug English- he is an Austrailian Vet who swears by it for any inflammatory condition. The recipe is on his website turmericlife.com. I have used it personally and can vouch it is as good as steroids for taking down inflammation. 1/4 teaspoon per day per hen and double it to 1/2 tsp after 3 days. I give this in empty gelatin capsules to my girls as they don't like the taste.

If the Tetracycline didn't work I would try Baytril. Definitely worth a shot. One of mine laid a few of these roughly 18 months ago and she was put on a course of Baytril for 10 days (if I remember correctly) and she is still with me now. The dosage is 0.2 ml once per day if using the 10percent liquid solution. That's the average dosage for a 2kg hen. You could also give her Turmeric paste for the inflammation. Look up Turmeric paste Dr Doug English- he is an Austrailian Vet who swears by it for any inflammatory condition. The recipe is on his website turmericlife.com. I have used it personally and can vouch it is as good as steroids for taking down inflammation. 1/4 teaspoon per day per hen and double it to 1/2 tsp after 3 days. I give this in empty gelatin capsules to my girls as they don't like the taste.
Thank you Gigi1983. Great idea about turmeric. Even better idea about empty capsules. I never thought about that before but I did a search and even found some vegan capsules made from either HPMC or Pullulan.

Pumpkin passed today. She'll be missed. I don't know her age, she came to us after she was an adult. Sweet girl, always gentle, larger than all the others in our flock but never a bully. Use your wings to rejoin the other angels sweetheart.
Hey I am so sorry for your loss. 2 of mine died since I initially replied to your thread, both from reproductive issues. I did everything I could to try and save them but to no avail. So I feel your pain I really do. Your little girl is free now and out of pain. God bless her.

Back
Top Bottom