Lash Egg? (Warning: Gross Pics)

Gen9

Songster
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
NC
1) Buff Orpington, 2 y/o, feels slightly lighter than before but not too worried about the weight just yet.
2) Mellow, carrying head close to shoulders. Moves slow, tail goes up, and sometimes goes down. At times she looks like she's going to poop, but doesn't. More sleepy, goes to roost in the coop before the rest of the flock, stands in the corner, rarely do I see her feathers fluffed. Does not scratch around with the rest of the flock, not as active...just plain not herself.
3) Physical symptoms since 5/1/13 (Wednesday). Sometime between late summer and winter last year (right before her first "real" molt) her egg production went down. Once in awhile she would lay these oblong, thin shelled eggs (at the time I didn't know who was doing it because It wasn't happening regularly)
4) No other birds in the flock exhibiting symptoms.
5) No signs of bleeding/broken bones/trauma
6) At first I thought she was egg bound, then Egg Yolk Peritonitis, but after some serious consideration I think it may have been due to poor genetic lines. I got her from a local garden center which gets their chicks from a hatchery (not sure which one, if anyone cares to know, message me and I will let you know which one as soon as I find out today.)
7) Her appetite isn't the same but she is eating bugs and a little bit of grass/clovers/etc and All Flock. I started her on duramycin (although further research regarding this condition says antibiotics are useless) and Sav-A-Chick vitamins or Rooster Booster Poultry Booster.
8) Yesterday she didn't poop at all, not even after I treated her for egg binding (warm bath, olive oil). This morning I've found runny poop, mostly white and a little bit of chunky dark green/black/brown (the normal looking color)
9) (see #7 & #8 for treatment) Also having her free range to get her proteins from bugs. It's helped her perk up a little bit. Separated her from the flock. Keeping her in a medium sized dog carrier at night with a blanket on top.
10 ) My intent is to treat her completely by myself. I have read in the comments on a blog about EYP that there are hormonal injections (6 month dose, or 12 month dose) to stop egg production - I can't imagine the cost but I am open to anything that I can afford at this point.
11.) pics posted.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12) I have a coop with plenty of ventilation. I use pine bedding for the floor, timothy hay for the nesting boxes. I clean it out once a month and scrub it down with </=1 tbsp bleach to 5 gal of warm water. I use food grade DE in the coop always and in their food whenever they start having skid marks on their eggs[/FONT]

Any ideas? I know this is an odd question but since laying eggs is life threatening for her, is there any way I can completely STOP egg production? This is the only information I've found:

http://www.birdchannel.com/hormone-injections-for-birds.aspx

I know there is someone on here who used to do the hormone injections for quite a while. It was semi-successful for her.
(ETA: The person who did this was taking the bird to a vet, and it was something she did on a long term basis, The shots didnt work to stop her production perminately, only temporarily.)

Another option, that is more expensive initially and more work from the start but less work over all is a hysterectomy. Talk to your vet about it and he/she will likely refer you to someone who can do it. If you dont have a vet, try calling a university teaching hospital.

Last edited:
I know there is someone on here who used to do the hormone injections for quite a while. It was semi-successful for her.

Another option, that is more expensive initially and more work from the start but less work over all is a hysterectomy. Talk to your vet about it and he/she will likely refer you to someone who can do it. If you dont have a vet, try calling a university teaching hospital.

Thank you! Last night I went through a thread where someone tried the hysterectomy with their hen, who was so bad off that they went through several abdomen drainings prior to the operation. The hen was unable to come out of anesthesia and ended up dying. I haven't had to do any draining of her (fingers crossed). Maybe if I increase her darkness time and do the hormones it may help. Nervous about a major surgery on birds. I've read that they don't handle the anesthesia very well.

Take your time and do your research. Surgury can be very hard on them and expensive for you. However, it is the only sure way to stop laying long-term. I wasnt trying to tell you what to do, just wanted to sort of show you some options and how they worked for others.

There are many threads by Speckled Hen on here (she used to be a moderator) about her hens that have had egg yolk peritonitis, ascites (fluid in abdomen), and internal laying. You might read some of her threads or PM her with a question. I have read that chickens only have a 50 percent chance of surviving anesthesia (don't know if it's true,) but I wouldn't attempt hysterectomy. You can keep them in low light or dark conditions to decrease laying, but I'm afraid I would have to cull a bird that has this much trouble just to keep her from misery.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom