Last years food, funny smell

beejay86

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Western Massachusetts
I have 1/2 a bag of layer mash from last year. It was kept open in my shed over the winter. It smells like sour milk. Do you think it's ok to feed the chickens? Is this smell normal? Thanks.

My rule for anything that smells bad ... don't eat it or feed it... LOL But realy I have no clue about layer mash.

Beejay,
I'd toss it. Mine doesn't smell like sour milk so I don't think it's a good idea to feed it. Also, I'd be worried about possible mold that you may not be able to see. Just my opinion.

I'm not real sure on the composition of layer mash, but oils and fats go rancid if left for too long. I know bird seed can't be kept for that long, because it's not good for the birds to eat seeds that the oils have gone rancid. The fats in the layer mash could be rancid.

Hi Folks, I guess I'll toss in my two cents worth. Feed does go bad at some point. The guy at our feed store where we buy our feed and some of our chicks says it should be kept in a plastic tub and then for only a month or so.
It has a tendency to get those tiny little bugs.
Plus if it doesn't smell fresh my wife tosses it.

Well, Back to the Braves game.....

Last edited:
no it's not worth it. you should not even ask that. it is just some food and it is cheap so dump it out and get some new food. better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom