Late quitter eggtopsy-warning: graphic pics

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
This is my documentation of an eggtopsy performed on a late quitting chicken egg.
The back story:
I had 7 eggs under a broody hen. Circumstances arose that required the eggs be moved to an incubator at days 15-16, 20 in a staggered hatch. Two hatched on time, but one was suspected to have quit around day 20. There was veins and faint movement on day 19. By day 21 aircell was unchanged, no drawdown, no movement, skinny veins were seen and an odd patch in the air cell. I put a pinsized safety hole in top of air cell and kept the humidity 65- 70%. Day 22 the opaque patch was smaller and some light presented opposite to air cell, no odor so I went to the morning of Day 23 to be certain the egg had quit before opening.
I performed an eggtopsy in order to determine cause of failure and to educate myself on anatomy and anatomical positioning at late stages of chick incubation. The descriptions of findings are presented above each picture.

Warning- graphic pictures and descriptions.

I attempted to remove shell completely using smooth and toothed
forceps, keeping inner membrane intact. The membrane was adhered well to the very top of the shell over the air cell that had the safety hole and so was not removed until later IMG_3058.jpeg

Removing shell from the bottom half of the egg revealed an opaque patch on the membrane that was seen during candling; there were what looked like ‘pores’ on the membrane. The patch was not circumferential and the material was not able to be gently scraped but was thicker than the rubbery membrane. It was likely calcium transfer but was not chalky. The overlying inner shell contained small inward projections that corresponded to the pores on the membrane where the patch was located (zoom in on shell fragment). At the bottom of the egg there is purulent material visible within the intact membrane.

IMG_3061.jpeg
IMG_3050.jpeg

Most of the shell has been removed. The membrane overlying the air cell was breached and yellow/green yolk flowed out. It is difficult to see in the photo but the orientation of the chick looked like it was nearing internal pip into air cell.
IMG_3062.jpeg

Membrane was opened. There was a pungent odor. Immediately I noted caseous material at the bottom of the egg and attached to the bottom of the chick. The feet and legs were intact but the vent, umbilicus and abdomen were less distinguishable in this position from the macerated material. This looked and smelled like tissue in early decay. Green yolk and fluid was present. Note the opaqueness of yolk at the bottom compared to that at the top where paper lines are visible under the latter but not the former.
IMG_3063.jpeg

I flipped the chick and oriented it onto its right side. It looked intact and had an egg tooth formed. Blood vessels and the ruptured yolk sac was visible. The intestines at the umbilicus was visible and quite fragile. This is a female Bielefelder having the chipmunk pattern; Bielefelder is an autosexed breed. I left the chick intact.
IMG_3065.jpeg

I was not expecting to find any visible parasites but this larvae (presumably) was wriggling within the mass of tissue and fluid. I do not know what it is and no others in my flock have shown signs of parasites.
IMG_3066.jpeg

The eggtopsy taught me a lot about the late stages in chick development, particularly spacial positioning inside the egg.
I do not know the significance or normalcy of the white membrane patch but will look into researching other instances. My suspicion is it is simply calcific transfer from the shell to the membrane, and it had little to do with cause of failure to hatch.
The unexpected larvae is more likely implicated in failure but at what point it in development I cannot know.
The macerated caseous material on the chicks left lower abdomen, vent and membrane, along with foul purulent contents is evidence of dead tissue 48 up to 72 hours duration. Gangrenous gas would have likely formed within the next 12-24 hours risking ruture if not opened.

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpeg
    IMG_3058.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3060.jpeg
    IMG_3060.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 13
For a quitter at day 20, the chick looks underdeveloped to me. I'm not an expert, but maybe something slowed its growth. At day 20, all the internal space should have been filled with chick or yolk sac, but that wasn't the case.

Sorry you lost a chick. Interesting to see what the status was.

What in the world was that worm???

For a quitter at day 20, the chick looks underdeveloped to me. I'm not an expert, but maybe something slowed its growth. At day 20, all the internal space should have been filled with chick or yolk sac, but that wasn't the case.

Sorry you lost a chick. Interesting to see what the status was.

What in the world was that worm???
I just presumed it was day 20 bc I saw movement on day 19 albeit slow movement

No idea about the larvae. It was about 3 mm long.

It doesn't look anything like a regular parasite, it almost looks like a maggot, but the picture is too grainy to see and most maggots are white or yellow... The only thing I could think of there would be if there was a hole or a crack in the egg and a fly managed to lay an egg in it especially if it was attracted by the rotten smell. But that's a pretty big leap.....

It doesn't look anything like a regular parasite, it almost looks like a maggot, but the picture is too grainy to see and most maggots are white or yellow... The only thing I could think of there would be if there was a hole or a crack in the egg and a fly managed to lay an egg in it especially if it was attracted by the rotten smell. But that's a pretty big leap.....
There was no access for flies, and if there was a fly egg could not transmigrate across the shell and shell membranes. Whatever it is it had to be transmitted vertically. In researching vertical transmission of helminths the end organs are GI or tracheal.
It certainly looked and moved like a grub of some sort. But the question is what can get past the shell and membranes other than the common bacterial enteropaths?

Thank you for sharing.

I just recently did this with a quail chick who had pipped. I was initially attempting to help it out of the egg - just a bit too late.

It had an underdeveloped leg as well as a pretty sever hernia (not the yolk sac) which is why I am sure it couldn't position itself correctly.

Rarely do I assist, because I find this to be the outcome most times - a chick who is not capable of having any QOL.

Since learning the ether euthanization method - I am much more inclined assist knowing I have a way to peacefully send the chick off if there is a physical problem that leads to their inability to hatch.

Thank you for sharing.

I just recently did this with a quail chick who had pipped. I was initially attempting to help it out of the egg - just a bit too late.

It had an underdeveloped leg as well as a pretty sever hernia (not the yolk sac) which is why I am sure it couldn't position itself correctly.

Rarely do I assist, because I find this to be the outcome most times - a chick who is not capable of having any QOL.

Since learning the ether euthanization method - I am much more inclined assist knowing I have a way to peacefully send the chick off if there is a physical problem that leads to their inability to hatch.
Can you share your euthanization method? I just had a horrible experience with a deformed chick that hatched this morning and would love to know a better way. Thank you!

There was no access for flies, and if there was a fly egg could not transmigrate across the shell and shell membranes. Whatever it is it had to be transmitted vertically. In researching vertical transmission of helminths the end organs are GI or tracheal.
It certainly looked and moved like a grub of some sort. But the question is what can get past the shell and membranes other than the common bacterial enteropaths?
I was more thinking if there was some kind of hole in the shell membrane itself... but like I said, the odds are ridiculous. If you had a better, super close and clear picture of the grub you might be able to narrow it down to the species of insect. But yeah, aside from your regular internal parasites and such I don't have the foggiest how that would have managed to be inside the egg.

Back
Top Bottom