Later stage incubation die out / dry out not sure?

purosaviparos

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
I am running a 400 capacity large cabinet style fully automatic incubator and have been doing so for a couple of years now. I started with 100% chicken eggs and little by little learned their quirks and am now up to having a real good deal of success with them. But as of late, within the last 3 months I have added turkey and duck eggs. My incubator is just for incubating, I have separate hatching places that run their own temp / hum levels so my temp / hum in the incubator is stable 100% of the time, usually around 35 – 40% and this has worked very well for my chicken eggs. What I am experiencing is that the turkey and duck eggs grow just fine for the first half (two weeks) of their time and then in the last half they just die out. It would appear as if they maybe have run out of liquid and just get stuck inside and cease to move but this only happens with 50% the other half keeps going and most of them usually hatch out. I know running a mixed incubator is not ideal as different types of eggs have different needs but I was jus wondering if their may be something that I could do to up my %. I have read that duck eggs should be weighed for liquid loss and then the humidity should be adjusted to suit more or less liquid dissipation (and I imainge this goes as well for turkeys) but I stifles me because in fact a good number of them go unaffected. I would like to hatch out more ducks and turkey and am not in a position to buy more incubators specifically for them. Tips, suggestions? Can airflow have to do with this?

turkeys and ducks need higher humidity during their final weeks. We usually incubate at 40 to 50 percent first three weeks and then 60 to 70% or more humidity during lock down. literally the windows sweat We also spray them and cool them down (the ducks). Good luck!

I am running a 400 capacity large cabinet style fully automatic incubator and have been doing so for a couple of years now. I started with 100% chicken eggs and little by little learned their quirks and am now up to having a real good deal of success with them. But as of late, within the last 3 months I have added turkey and duck eggs. My incubator is just for incubating, I have separate hatching places that run their own temp / hum levels so my temp / hum in the incubator is stable 100% of the time, usually around 35 – 40% and this has worked very well for my chicken eggs. What I am experiencing is that the turkey and duck eggs grow just fine for the first half (two weeks) of their time and then in the last half they just die out. It would appear as if they maybe have run out of liquid and just get stuck inside and cease to move but this only happens with 50% the other half keeps going and most of them usually hatch out. I know running a mixed incubator is not ideal as different types of eggs have different needs but I was jus wondering if their may be something that I could do to up my %. I have read that duck eggs should be weighed for liquid loss and then the humidity should be adjusted to suit more or less liquid dissipation (and I imainge this goes as well for turkeys) but I stifles me because in fact a good number of them go unaffected. I would like to hatch out more ducks and turkey and am not in a position to buy more incubators specifically for them. Tips, suggestions? Can airflow have to do with this?
what is your hatch % for chicken eggs?
i have been doing well with my 2 hovobators
but can't hatch muscovy eggs to save my life :(

what is your hatch % for chicken eggs?
i have been doing well with my 2 hovobators
but can't hatch muscovy eggs to save my life :(
My chicken hatch rates are outstanding always above 90%, but turkeys and ducks do fine until the last 2 weeks and then some of them just die. Good growth and then no movement at all inside

My chicken hatch rates are outstanding always above 90%, but turkeys and ducks do fine until the last 2 weeks and then some of them just die. Good growth and then no movement at all inside
i think you have to mist duck eggs with water once a day for them to hatch rite

Back
Top Bottom