Latifa's demise: Eggbound or tumors/ cysts? WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES OF A CHICKEN

My oldest EE hen, Big Girl (she hangs out with bantams so it's only natural we call her that =) ) didn't lay all summer. She finished a moult at the end of spring/early summer and then just lived life without getting back to the business of laying eggs. I checked her vent and it was dry and puckered. She's 3 so I wasn't entirely surprised. In the middle of summer, she developed a great wound just below her vent that had maggots in it. My guess was a burst abscess. Sounds yucky (and it was) but the maggots cleaned it out right nice for me. I debrided it and filled it with Neosporin and got antibiotics from the vet. Within in a week it was completely healed. A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that Big Girl was starting to spend more time in the nesting box and when I checked her vent it was ripe and ready for laying. Yay! Two weeks later, no eggs, but that little group wanders our property so she could have been laying them anywhere. Today I noticed she was acting funny again--like she was when I discovered her wound. I picked her up and checked her over and found that her cloaca was very mildly prolapsed and her abdomen was lumpy and hard. Uh oh, eggbound. =( I brought her inside and set to work. What I found in there was like something from a horror film. I couldn't even take pictures, it was so yucky. The "eggs" were not even like eggs. She had one long, continuous, mass of rubbery shell and hard yolk that twisted and turned up the length of her oviduct. The end of it broke off (the piece appeared to have been one "egg" and I got it out. I tried to get what was left, but she was in agony and swelling, making it difficult. Plus, the shape of what was left was just too hard to get out. I put her back in chicken "hospital" where she has a hot water bottle to sit on and am hoping that perhaps she can push that thing out on her own now that it is smaller. If not, I'll have my husband cull her when he gets home. She's miserable, poor thing. =( Not looking for advice, just wanted to "vent" my sadness...

My oldest EE hen, Big Girl (she hangs out with bantams so it's only natural we call her that =) ) didn't lay all summer. She finished a moult at the end of spring/early summer and then just lived life without getting back to the business of laying eggs. I checked her vent and it was dry and puckered. She's 3 so I wasn't entirely surprised. In the middle of summer, she developed a great wound just below her vent that had maggots in it. My guess was a burst abscess. Sounds yucky (and it was) but the maggots cleaned it out right nice for me. I debrided it and filled it with Neosporin and got antibiotics from the vet. Within in a week it was completely healed. A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that Big Girl was starting to spend more time in the nesting box and when I checked her vent it was ripe and ready for laying. Yay! Two weeks later, no eggs, but that little group wanders our property so she could have been laying them anywhere. Today I noticed she was acting funny again--like she was when I discovered her wound. I picked her up and checked her over and found that her cloaca was very mildly prolapsed and her abdomen was lumpy and hard. Uh oh, eggbound. =( I brought her inside and set to work. What I found in there was like something from a horror film. I couldn't even take pictures, it was so yucky. The "eggs" were not even like eggs. She had one long, continuous, mass of rubbery shell and hard yolk that twisted and turned up the length of her oviduct. The end of it broke off (the piece appeared to have been one "egg" and I got it out. I tried to get what was left, but she was in agony and swelling, making it difficult. Plus, the shape of what was left was just too hard to get out. I put her back in chicken "hospital" where she has a hot water bottle to sit on and am hoping that perhaps she can push that thing out on her own now that it is smaller. If not, I'll have my husband cull her when he gets home. She's miserable, poor thing. =( Not looking for advice, just wanted to "vent" my sadness...

I am so sorry what's happening with Big Girl
hugs.gif
...thank you for sharing your findings and keep us all updated on her.

Everyone should do what you have done. You have a sick bird, you cull it because your best efforts are not working, than you open them up and try to learn. Bravo to you. You shared your experience on here and perhaps you have imparted courage to someone who is a coward and can't cull a suffering animal, you have helped someone out there make a cull decision to end suffering when they are not sure or are afraid of the decision. good job!

I am so sorry what's happening with Big Girl
hugs.gif
...thank you for sharing your findings and keep us all updated on her.
She was in hospital overnight, but never managed to pass the rest of the mass. My husband and I talked about it and decided that even if she had, we probably wouldn't keep her because it's likely it would keep happening, and how miserable would that be for her? Poor girl. She had a handful of grain for breakfast this morning and then my husband took her out to the cone...

You did exactly the right thing in putting her out of her misery at once. People need to understand that chickens don't live all that long (most dogs and cats live a lot longer) and vets are very expensive; even after a vet visit and meds your chicken is still not going to be the longest lived animal around. Putting them out of their misery quickly is the very best thing you can do; especially if they do not respond quickly to simple and ordinary home treatments.

Back
Top Bottom