Lav Orp or Australorp - who laid it? šŸ”šŸ„š

Holdthechicken

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Lavender Orpington hatched 4/20 - 24 weeks old.. slowest of all my birds to mature so far.

Australorp hatched May 23 - 19 weeks matured quickly like my RIRs

Found this tiny brown egg, on the darker side.. next to an egg from on of my RIRs. Both pullets started squatting this week, both have gone from pink to red combs .. I havenā€™t seen either in a nest box and havenā€™t gotten a second egg yet .. who is more likely?

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    893.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    879.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    793.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    908.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 8
I'm thinking it could be the Orpington... but not completely sure. I just think she's more likely because she's older. I could be wrong though. šŸ˜‚
Thatā€™s kinda what I was thinking but everything I saw online said lavender Orpington had light eggs so I wasnā€™t sure where this fell on the spectrum.

Lavender Orpington hatched 4/20 - 24 weeks old.. slowest of all my birds to mature so far.

Australorp hatched May 23 - 19 weeks matured quickly like my RIRs

Found this tiny brown egg, on the darker side.. next to an egg from on of my RIRs. Both pullets started squatting this week, both have gone from pink to red combs .. I havenā€™t seen either in a nest box and havenā€™t gotten a second egg yet .. who is more likely?
My buff orpingtons eggs look like the lighter one in the picture. My lavender is too young to lay still and probably won't lay until next spring.

The small egg may be darker only because it is small. It could even be from the same hen as the larger egg, and have the same amount of pigment, just distributed over a smaller surface, making it more concentrated. IMO, it may be nearly impossible to tell these hens' eggs apart once they start laying normal-size (equal-sized) eggs, since both are basically Orpingtons.

Just updating for anyone that stumbles on this in the future, my Black Australorp lays a lighter pinkish egg (left) and my lavender orp lays a slightly darker egg with tint speckles on it (right). Therefore I believe my lavender orp laid the egg in question from this post! Thanks all for playing who laid it šŸ˜‚.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom