Lavender Araucanas - comb question

Gardenalex

Chirping
Sep 24, 2015
Hello everybody,
i have some Lavender Araucanas, hatched out of eggs that i bought here in Germany.
I am not sure cause i have little chicks with pea comb and straight comb. I know that the LA should habe pea combs, so what has happened? Are they not pure breed or is it quite normal that they split?
I would like to sell some, but i am not sure if i can name them LA with a straight comb?

No true Ameraucana can have anything but a pea comb, so I would call the straight comb ones "Lavender Easter Eggers". No one can fault you for that and it sounds rather exotic, I expect they would sell well.

Now, as to the genetics, the pea comb gene is completely dominant over the single comb, so the single comb gene can easily hide in a population of pea combed birds. Getting it out involves test matings and could take several generations. If you never breed from the single comb birds, you should find that the single combs are always in the minority in your chicks. If you want to know more about the test matings, and how to completely remove a recessive trait like single combs, I can explain in more detail, or you could post on the genetics thread and get help from multiple people there.

Back
Top Bottom