(Black) Cuckoo:
View attachment 3069810

200.gif

That's not Lavender...

Lavender Cuckoo:
View attachment 3069809

(Black) Cuckoo:
View attachment 3069810
I don't have a barred Rock rooster and I hatched her it's hard to tell the difference but the hen on the left is lavender and black and the hent on the right is white and black
IMG_20220420_175245357.jpg

Lavender orpington rooster, barred Rock hen if I'm wrong in thinking that's how it works please educate me.
blazing saddles no GIF

First of all, crossing two breeds together doesn't mean the offspring are pure. They are neither Orpingtons nor Plymouth Rocks. They are mixed. So you can't call the Plymouth Barred Rocks either.

Second of all, Lavender is recessive (and dilutes black). None of the F1 offspring will be visually Lavender. In order to be Lavender, a bird must have two copies of the gene. Like their father. Since he is only able to give one copy Lavender) of the gene to his chicks and the mother only gives one copy (Black) of the gene to her chicks, the chicks will all appear Black with barring.

Barring is more complicated and hens only need one copy to be barred while males need two. @The Moonshiner or @Amer can explain that way better than I can. I don't fool with barred birds.

blazing saddles no GIF

First of all, crossing two breeds together doesn't mean the offspring are pure. They are neither Orpingtons nor Plymouth Rocks. They are mixed. So you can't call the Plymouth Barred Rocks either.

Second of all, Lavender is recessive (and dilutes black). None of the F1 offspring will be visually Lavender. In order to be Lavender, a bird must have two copies of the gene. Like their father. Since he is only able to give one copy Lavender) of the gene to his chicks and the mother only gives one copy (Black) of the gene to her chicks, the chicks will all appear Black with barring.

Barring is more complicated and hens only need one copy to be barred while males need two. @The Moonshiner or @Amer can explain that way better than I can. I don't fool with barred birds.
Isn't the barring the black part too? So a lavender barred would be a white bird with lavender bars?

blazing saddles no GIF

Thank you for the info very cool, I will do more research before getting excited about what I cross and what they are. So instead of saying I have lavender barred rocks I should say that I have lavender barred Rock crosses right?

I'm glad I stumbled across your explanation here. Is the barring explanation limited only to these breeds? I'm asking because I've got a couple of chicks that came out black with barring. This came from a splash-colored Blue Andalusian mother. I assumed the father is my Cream Legbar rooster which would explain the barring, but I also have two Ameraucana roosters - one black and one lavender.

If the chick did come from the CL rooster, would I be correct in assuming it's a girl since I know the mother shouldn't have a barring gene?

Back
Top Bottom