Lavender/Black genetics question....

BayChicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Reedville
Ugh! We've lost our blue Am. roo so I'm wondering if I would be compromising the genetics or color of my bbs by using my black split/lav. roo.
If I do not breed the resulting pullets back to the roo, won't the lav. genes just disappear down the line?

You don't have much choice now but to use him.Lav is recessive and could show up on rare occasions later.My experience with split to split has been less than the predicted 25%.There has been discussions about what you would get if they inherit blue and 2 copies of lav but no one has produced one that I know of.Since blue and lav both affect black it should be very light colored should you get one.With your proposed mating it would be very rare. Jerry

Thanks. I didn't plan to cross any of our birds carrying lav. with our bbs. I guess we'll see how it goes.

BayChicks sorry to hear about your lost Blue boy..

But a lil inspiration and thoughts for you, if you want to keep your BBS lines pure don't use lav.. it will surly haunt your lines of BBS. however if you don't mind lav in the mix go for it, for it will come up sooner or later. test breeding could be a nightmare if trying to figure who got what

if you sell any off spring just remember to tell them these chicks have been bred with some lav blood/genes because they may not want lav in there BBS lines..

Here we always keep our black orp lines pure for black and lav orps lines pure for lav..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom