Lavender lacing?

Good lacing really does not require Slow feathering(As in Barred Rock type of slow feathering).
The crosses I've made consistently show that lack of slow feathering results in arrow shaped lacing where two copies of slow feathering gives nice large oval lacing. I can easily take a few pictures of chicks with various combinations tomorrow if you would like to see the contrast.

I don't make any claim that the genetics I have are related to the variant of slow feathering in Barred Rocks. There are 4 documented slow feathering gene variants which can easily be looked up. There is even a wiki page on the subject. I believe the variant in my birds is k4.

I don't make any claim that the genetics I have are related to the variant of slow feathering in Barred Rocks. There are 4 documented slow feathering gene variants which can easily be looked up. There is even a wiki page on the subject. I believe the variant in my birds is k4.

Yes, there are many variants of Slow feathering. But as far as I am aware neither Laced Orpingtons, Laced Sebrights nor Laced Polish have any type of slow feathering. But Those are Feathering based on ER Birchen which is different from the lacing found on Wyandottes.

ER/ER, Db/Db-Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg, Co/Co

I’ve never understood the chick hatching total in theory couldn’t I just hatch enough eggs to get a pair of f1 and then breed those ? (Forgive me for my ignorance). And also thank you that will definitely save me from a google rabbit hole in the future but I’m also curious why such a thing would happen with pure birds ?
For F1, yes you are right. You cross the two breeds, and get a bunch of chicks that look very much alike. Look for any obvious issues (like a single comb when you want rose), but you can pretty much pick a male and a few females and start breeding them together to produce F2 chicks.

The F2 generation is the one where you want to hatch large numbers of chicks, because there are so many different combinations of genes and you only want a few of them.

Of the F2 chicks, about 3/4 will be black (maybe with leakage or diluted by lavender), and only about 1/4 will be able to show any kind of pattern (lacing or otherwise.)

Of the F2 chicks, about 1/4 will show lavender, and the other 3/4 will not.

So for just those two genes, you would expect about 1 in 16 chicks to show both lavender and some kind of pattern. If you hatch 160 chicks, you might have about 10 of those birds that have both lavender and some pattern, and then you look for the best laced one among them. But you also want rose comb, and hen feathering for the males, and various other traits, so you probably need to hatch more total chicks, to have more chances of getting the "right" ones for the next generation. This is where hatching very large numbers of chicks can make your project go much faster.

Once you find an F2 chick that shows both lavender and any pattern at all (not all-black or all-lavender), you can breed it back to a Sebright to get chicks that carry lavender but have more of the other genes you want from Sebrights. Then cross two of those offspring together to get some chicks showing lavender. Then you can cross one that shows lavender back to Sebright again... and keep repeating until you've got birds with all the traits you want. This takes more generations but less total chicks, as compared with hatching F2 chicks until you find some that are really good in all traits.

Could you provide a more detailed explanation of the difference?

Wyandottes have the following genes for lacing.

eb/eb, Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg, Co/Co, their lacing does not extend to the tail, they have black tails(or blue tails on blue laced)

Birchen based lacing(Orps, Polish, Sebright)

ER/ER, Db/Db-Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg, Co/Co, this combination of extra melanizer(ER birchen) and Extra columbian restrictor(Db) extends the lacing pattern to the tail.

Lacing on Wyandottes with black tail
1669737732706.png

Lacing on Laced Orps with laced tails
1669737788580.png

Last edited:
Wyandottes have the following genes for lacing.

eb/eb, Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg, Co/Co, their lacing does not extend to the tail, they have black tails(or blue tails on blue laced)

Birchen based lacing(Orps, Polish, Sebright)

ER/ER, Db/Db-Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg, Co/Co, this combination of extra melanizer(ER birchen) and Extra columbian restrictor(Db) extends to the tail.

Thank you very much.

I'm not sure I understand entirely, because I'm still learning the genes and their effects, but I will file this information for reference when I need it. :)

Lavender Silver Laced will hardly have any contrast...

It's true, the Calculator while a very powerful tool for learning it's not perfect and to obtain perfect lacing you don't need 128 nor 256 numbers. I very much suspect that the OP should be able to see good pattern on a very good F2 Hatch of about 60 eggs.

Good lacing really does not require Slow feathering(As in Barred Rock type of slow feathering).
Sorry for the late response. For some reason BYC never notified me but this is a photo I saw that I fell in love with but this birds are from Brazil so I would like to make my own in the USA. Although the contrast may be difficult to see from a distance I think it beautiful

Attachments

• BF2151A6-28A8-4BCD-809A-52032A156C3F.jpeg
    BF2151A6-28A8-4BCD-809A-52032A156C3F.jpeg
    574.4 KB · Views: 8
Sorry for the late response. For some reason BYC never notified me but this is a photo I saw that I fell in love with but this birds are from Brazil so I would like to make my own in the USA. Although the contrast may be difficult to see from a distance I think it beautiful
Silver Laced Blue has a similar looks

1670860537880.png

1670860601919.png

I’d love to learn the genetics. Do you have a good reference? I’d also love help with my question below.

I have a lavender silkie rooster who is split to lace. I actually don’t want the lace and I’m trying to understand the expression and penetrance in progeny. Do you only get lacing if both parents carry the gene? I’m actually trying to get to lavender mottled and wanted to use my rooster in my pen to create lavender split to mottled and then take that offspring to breed to my mottled rooster that is split to lav. I just found out that my lavender roo is split to lace.

Back
Top Bottom