Lavender Orpington crossed with others

I'm of opinion Blue and Lav should not be mixed. You'll run into difficulty wondering if a bird is Lav or very pale and non laced blue. A very pale non laced blue is a DQ. Lav is Lav. See what I mean?

Blue must be guarded against losing lacing. Most breeds of blue are in need of improved lacing. If you want to breed blue then by all means do it. I would not be crossing them with Lav. If you found a good quality body type black from a blue flock there is no reason not to use it. I suggest a true black variety as the body type, conformation to SOP will be better than you'll find in the Blue variety. This all is on supposition body type and working toward the Standard are a goal of yours.

The main point is Blue and Lav are not one in the same. Completely different gene. Blue must be laced. A non laced blue is not a Lav, it's simply a very poor quality blue. You have Lavender already. If you got a hold of nice Black stock you'd have diversity of color and be improving your Lav not only in color but body and tails.
I see what you mean. Yes, I know blue and lavender are completely different. At this point I'm still trying to decide whether to breed to sell, in which case your suggestion for sure makes sense, or just for my own flock. I don't love plain black birds, though I really like blue and splash birds (and lavender, of course), hence my hesitation to just get black only for the sake of lavender. But I do know that feathers can become shredded with lavender, so I see the advantage you mention. Perhaps I'll get a black orp for breeding and an Ameraucana, just because I like them and don't mind getting EEs for my own flock, plus when hatching it would be very obvious which is which (due to egg color and the chicks themes looking different). Thanks for your advice. :)

These are of English type, which to me are Cochin. But it shows what I like about black. It's not plain at all, feathers that shine and all that iridescent green. Not a plain Jane color at all.

My son would like that. He wants a "green" chicken haha! I think that's as close as it would get to green! I think you've convinced me!

I know this is an old thread bur I was wondering what ended up happening. Did you cross your Lavender Orpington rooster with others? What were the results? And lastly, do you have any pictures?

Here are our Lavender Orpington rooster's offspring. We have a mix of seven different breed hens.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20240521-091721.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240521-091721.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom