Lavender Orpington Crosses

Jdifranco

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2021
Hey all :) I am breeding for the first time after having my hens for 3 years. We got a lavender orpington rooster, and just kinda let them do what chickens do. I have a question though.....I have no idea what any of the common terms mean and when I try to figure out what these chicks will become, I don't understand. Lol Here's what I have:

Lavender roo x easter egger (americauna) -chicks are lavender and slight grey (heads)
Lavender roo x gold laced wyandotte - chicks are black with white spot on neck and white belly
Lavender roo x buff orpington - chicks are black with gold faces
Lavender roo x sapphire gem - chicks are typical sapphire gem chicks, dark grey/black with white here and there

I see a lot of talk about "split" or F1 or other lingo, but I don't know what that stuff means. Can someone tell me what to expect please? Thank you! :love:jumpy

“Split” is basically a bird that has the genetics for two different patterns that directly interact with each other but can’t exactly coexist in their pure form. For example, a lavender split is a bird that is usually black with one copy of the recessive lavender gene. If this bird if bred with another lavender split or a lavender, it could have pure lavender offspring, which are visually lavender, unlike the splits. But, a bird either has to either be visually black or lavender, they can’t have both lavender and black feathers at the same time. Another example would be a gold/silver split rooster, who has one gold gene and one silver gene. He would not be pure for either pattern, but would visually be mostly silver.

F1 refers to the first generation. F2, F3, etc are the generations after that. For instance, the chicks of a buff Orpington x Rhode Island red cross would be first generation crosses, or the F1. Another example would be F1/first generation Easter eggers, which are half ameraucana and half another breed (most EEs are the result of EE x EE crosses rather than direct ameraucana crosses).

Another thing- your EE x lav Orpington chicks are most likely not lavender. They’re lavender splits, which are not visually lavender. They’re most likely blue or splash. However, it is possible they are lavender if the Easter egger mother is lavender or is a lavender split.

Hey all :) I am breeding for the first time after having my hens for 3 years. We got a lavender orpington rooster, and just kinda let them do what chickens do. I have a question though.....I have no idea what any of the common terms mean and when I try to figure out what these chicks will become, I don't understand. Lol Here's what I have:

Lavender roo x easter egger (americauna) -chicks are lavender and slight grey (heads)
Lavender roo x gold laced wyandotte - chicks are black with white spot on neck and white belly
Lavender roo x buff orpington - chicks are black with gold faces
Lavender roo x sapphire gem - chicks are typical sapphire gem chicks, dark grey/black with white here and there

I see a lot of talk about "split" or F1 or other lingo, but I don't know what that stuff means. Can someone tell me what to expect please? Thank you! :love:jumpy
How do the chicks look now?

IDK for sure but I think this hen is a LO/EE cross. She has the EE comb, and a blue egg, but her tail feathers look messy as LO's get.
po29.PNG

Below is a chick I think is her chick with an EE dad, it is gray with yellow on the face.
1zzcc.PNG

Anything bred to lavender chicks will be solid black unless bred to blue then half black half will be blue

Back
Top Bottom