Lavender Orpington- Shredder gene- breeding

Pics

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I was lucky enough to get a 3 hens and a rooster from 4 Lavender Orpington eggs I hatched (unheard of for me- I always get 75% roosters!)

Two of the hens (the two prettiest) have shredded looking feathers. But their colour is just gorgeous. One is almost white, and the other, the palest grey. My 3rd hen has normal looking feathers but she is a slightly darker grey and I don't think as pretty. My rooster also does not have shredded feathers- and he is a lovely pale grey also.

QUESTION- if I breed him with the two hens who have shredder gene- what are the chances that the chicks will inherit the shredder gene?
Is it 50% ? 100% ? or just random?

I think ideally you wouldn't use them, or you'd cross back to black for improved feather quality. Someone may have better information than I though.

You might want to get a black split to lavender (self blue) rooster (a black bird that carries the lavender gene) to breed to your girls to help improve feather quality. The shredder gene is associated with the self blue color in other breeds as well. It is something that breeders are working on. I know this only from research and not personal experience as I was looking to breed self blue ameraucanas.:)

I was lucky enough to get a 3 hens and a rooster from 4 Lavender Orpington eggs I hatched (unheard of for me- I always get 75% roosters!)

Two of the hens (the two prettiest) have shredded looking feathers. But their colour is just gorgeous. One is almost white, and the other, the palest grey. My 3rd hen has normal looking feathers but she is a slightly darker grey and I don't think as pretty. My rooster also does not have shredded feathers- and he is a lovely pale grey also.

QUESTION- if I breed him with the two hens who have shredder gene- what are the chances that the chicks will inherit the shredder gene?
Is it 50% ? 100% ? or just random?
I would NOT breed birds with the Lavender Wing Patch(bad quality feathers) genetics, it's not the shredder mutation, but it's considered a closely linked gene to recessive autosomal lavender

Youre not saying those are two different things right?
You just prefer calling it by a different name?

Youre not saying those are two different things right?
You just prefer calling it by a different name?
No reputable researcher that has published a peer review have given this mutation an official name, you will not find any reference of a "Shredder" mutation on old or new genetic books(about chickens or fowl), it has been reference as "Wing Patch" by Jeffrey (1985) it has been known to be closely linked to Lavender or be another allelic mutation of recessive Lavender. Also some people may incorrectly call "Fray", but the Fray gene is actually located on a different chromosome linkage group.

Here is the work of Danne Honour on Lavender Phoenix
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E03A09.pdf

It's not Fray, it has not been officially named "Shredder" and it's currently unknown if it's an allelic mutation or a closely linked mutation, I personally believe it's an allelic mutation since you just don't see the same bad feather quality on Lav+/lav birds

I remember you posting that before. Just couldn't remember what all you posted.
Officially or not it is widely known as shredder at this point so I'll stick with that to lessen confusion.

No reputable researcher that has published a peer review have given this mutation an official name, you will not find any reference of a "Shredder" mutation on old or new genetic books(about chickens or fowl), it has been reference as "Wing Patch" by Jeffrey (1985) it has been known to be closely linked to Lavender or be another allelic mutation of recessive Lavender. Also some people may incorrectly call "Fray", but the Fray gene is actually located on a different chromosome linkage group.

Here is the work of Danne Honour on Lavender Phoenix
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E03A09.pdf

It's not Fray, it has not been officially named "Shredder" and it's currently unknown if it's an allelic mutation or a closely linked mutation, I personally believe it's an allelic mutation since you just don't see the same bad feather quality on Lav+/lav birds
🤔🤔🤔🤔

Um... ok, I'll admit it... I have no idea what you guys just said. Anyways, here they are. They are all a fairly different colour. All came from one guy. They hatched May 1, so are almost 23 weeks. No eggs yet from the pullets. One is light grey, one whitish grey, one medium grey with darker collar.

first 3- light grey pullet
next 2 -whitish grey pullet
rooster
next 1- medium grey pullet and whitish pullet
next 2-whitish grey pullet
whitish grey pullet and light grey pullet
medium grey pullet

Attachments

• IMG_8626.jpg
    IMG_8626.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8597.jpg