Lavender Orpington x Faverolles

roonster

Songster
7 Years
Jun 20, 2016
I have two roosters: one lavender orpington and the other is a California gray (i believe).
The Ca. Gray has light color shanks and the Lavender has dark shanks and feet.
The Ca. Gray is the dominant male.
However, the lavender orp. appears to be the father of three chicks because they all have dark shanks and feet. The black chick has feathered legs and 5 toes also.
So, the chicks appear to be faverolles x lavender orpington, which i like!
The lavender orp roo is submissive but he grew up with the Faverolles. (A bantam female is surrogate mom).
Feathered legs and 5 toes are incomplete dominant, I believe? ...but dark shanks and feet is dominant, right?
So, the father must be the lavender orp?
I know I can Google all this and review but....
I also wanted to know if anyone is crossing Faverolles. I know someone did a lavender x Faverolles in the past but I think the person just stopped posting....and I also know there are various colors of Faverolles. I just want to start my own cross! lol
20220622_163407.jpg

20220622_163417.jpg
20220622_163250.jpg
20220622_163330.jpg
20220622_163251.jpg
20220622_163453.jpg
20220622_163455.jpg

Thanks. Im not really concerned about the breed of the roo that has barring, except in identifying chicks.
Lavender Orpingtons supposedly have gray chicks from everything online.
Pic is from a hatchery, most other pics show darker gray chicks....but again, I only have 2 roosters and one has dark shanks and feet and the other light...
I dont see how the "barred" roo with light color legs/feet can produce dark legs/feet when crossed to a faverolles with white legs/feet?
I'd prefer the lavender orp be the dad but it is what it is...in the future, I'll separate them.
My banty went broody, so I just put some eggs under her. Unfortunately, my banty roo doesnt seem to mate with the hen and none of her eggs developed...

Attachments

• 20220623_081317.jpg
    20220623_081317.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220623_082353.jpg
    20220623_082353.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 5
I found this anecdotal info that might explain:
"When my Barred Rocks were chicks they had black legs. Now they have yellow legs. Sometimes it changes as they mature."

Are you sure they're part Faverolles? Lavender requires two copies of the gene to express itself. All chicks of the lavender father would be splits and thus just simply be black chicks. The lighter chicks are blue not lavender. Blue is expressed with one copy of the gene, splash with two unlike lavender :)
Yes they are Faverolles mothers. I actually hatched one from incubator previously. it was strong and healthy but got stuck in water dish...anyway, it was gray, like these, but had five toes on one foot.
When talking about "color" are you talking about adult color? Because crossbreed chicks can vary greatly.
My main genetic marker was the black feet...but maybe they will change?

Yes they are Faverolles mothers. I actually hatched one from incubator previously. it was strong and healthy but got stuck in water dish...anyway, it was gray, like these, but had five toes on one foot.
When talking about "color" are you talking about adult color? Because crossbreed chicks can vary greatly.
My main genetic marker was the black feet...but maybe they will change?
Yes, I am talking about adult color. :) Lavender genetics do not work that way. A Faverolles wouldn't carry a copy of lavender meaning that these chicks have to have the Sapphire Gem father. :) Either that or the mother is different but either way the two blue chicks are blue. :)

Are you sure they're part Faverolles? Lavender requires two copies of the gene to express itself. All chicks of the lavender father would be splits and thus just simply be black chicks. The lighter chicks are blue not lavender. Blue is expressed with one copy of the gene, splash with two unlike lavender :)
Also, I have 10 hens: 2 bantams, one australorp, one RIR, one Easter egger mix with "crown", 2 prairie blue, 3 Faverolles. the Faverolles lay a small to
Yes, I am talking about adult color. :) Lavender genetics do not work that way. A Faverolles wouldn't carry a copy of lavender meaning that these chicks have to have the Sapphire Gem father. :) Either that or the mother is different but either way the two blue chicks are blue. :)
well, these are chicks and not reflective of the adult colors.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that I had a gray chick with 5 toes on one foot from this cross. (1 of the two roosters and faverolles). So, I don't know what else to tell you.

Here is a thread discussing adult color genetics versus chick down color.
You need to understand that chick color does NOT follow adult color genetics ESPECIALLY in mixes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-baby-chick-determine-its-adult-color.664891/

Back
Top Bottom