lay the same eeggs each time?

PurplePoppiPpl

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
North Western Wisconsin
will chickens lay the same looking eggs each time(shape and color or shade) because i got my first eggs this week and i was trying to figure out who laid them and some of them look really similar and some are diffrent. could i figure out who laid them if i found one egg for sure was so and so's egg could i match it up with the other eggs??

Congrats for getting your first eggs! I think it's pretty cool knowing exactly where your food came from. Anyways, if your flock is completely one breed then it would be difficult to tell. Each breed lays eggs with certain characteristics, but each chicken's egg is always slightly different. I have one girl who lays a speckled egg and two who lay slightly different shades of brown eggs. It definitely should be possible to match the eggs up and it would for sure be an interesting experiment. Can you tell me if this works?

these are my first eggs( i know that only three pullets are laying)
but i cant figure out who lays what. do hens always lay the same exact color egg?

you cant tell from the pic but these eggs ( which i am positive came from the same pullet)
are two diffrent colors and shape... is that right i heard the layed the same color egg for life...

Egg color does not change. The shade or darkness can. The shade of the egg depends on the pigment available at the time the shell is formed. In a blue shell it is when the shell its self is made. With a brown it is when the pigment is deposited on the shell. A brown egg can also be lighter if it is rushed through the process.
And shapes can alter slightly from egg to egg. Generally the hen will lay eggs that are close to the same shape.

Back
Top Bottom