Layer feed WITHOUT soy??? Where???

One thing I know is soy is not digestable to animals so it is a filler for many breeds in their food. The probelm comes from how the seed and plant was treated as those checmical are digestable. It causes all sorts of probelms being one of the high allergy foods for animals and people. The differance between american soy and china soy is how it is grown. Our has been treated with growth hormones and pesticides so farmers here get top production. In china it is not treated or at least it was not until recentally.

Quote:
I country that consumes a "lot" of soy is Japan, they eat edamame, soy sauce and tofu and sometimes soymilk... but the list really ends there (one study stated that the average Japanese person consumes betweem 4 and 8 gms of soy protein a day)

Here in the States we're feeding soy to our chickens, pigs, cows and turkeys... which means that all those animals will have soy by-product in their flesh when we end up processing them and eating them. What our meat eats, we eat.

We're also being fed things from "health food" suppliers that contain HUGE amounts of soy, i have some whole wheat flour tortillas made with hydrogenated soybean oil (don't even get me STARTED on polyunsaturated fats, lol). Nowadays, we have soy in our breakfast cereal, bread, salsa, cakes, candies, sauces, protein powder, energy bars... everything... and that's in addition to soymilk, soy cheese, soy nuts, tofu, edamame, soy sauce etc.

I completely agree with you on moderation... I enjoy tofu sometimes, i eat sushi and use soy sauce consistantly, but that's pretty much where my soy intake ends (i HATE miso soup btw). I feel the need to eliminate soy as much as possible from food items that HAVE NO NEED for it.

It reminds me of the high-fructose corn syrup ads, they state "it's just fine in moderation" and indeed it is! Unfortunately it's practically impossible to limit our intake of HFCS when it's in our cereal, bread, condiments, candy, juice, soda etc. (the average American consumes 41.5 POUNDS of HFCS annually).

I think this is the reason behind the soy hysteria ( if that's even the right word), it's fine in moderation, but how can we personally moderate the largest crop in the U.S. that is put into way more of our food than we even realize?

common sense says everything in moderation.

How is it possible that soy is not digestible by animals? Wouldn't that make it a calorie free food? In that case, pour me some soy!

I drink soymilk, eat soybeans and tofu, and I've never seen any of it come out the other end looking the same. I'd certainly hate to give it up.

Since I grow my own soybeans, would thos be danger free?

The real question now is - what is moderation for this particular food?

Quote:
For me, soy in moderation is in it's traditional forms... Tofu, boiled edamame, etc.

It's not my primary source of protein because in order for it to be, i would have to consume amounts that i don't feel represent the term "moderation".

I don't agree with soy as a primary source of protein for chicken feed, since they're not vegetarian animals by nature, and i'd much rather my animals eat the diet their bodies are designed for. That's in addition to the fact that my sister has severe Hashimotos disease and soy is toxic to her, which is unfortunate because it's in up to 60% of food you find in a typical grocery store... Which means my sister eats and gets sicker and sicker... Clearly the food industry is forcing us to take drastic measures to ensure that our consumption of soy is moderate (i.e. eating totally natural and unprocessed foods and making our own baked goods etc.).

This is a really interesting article that has a lot of the history of Soy in the U.S. along with references to back up the statements contained within:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/food/soy_story.html

I'm not sure if anyone read the Weston A Price articles, but a main difference in soy not being an allergen in Asian countries is the fact that in Asian countries, many traditional preparations of soy include various forms of fermenting it, resulting in a much more digestible food.

The over-processing that occurs here in the west alters it.
An example of a fermented soy sauce would be Tamari, which is much different than a Western type of soy sauce...

Like a growing portion of the American population I have digestive issues. Soy is not something good for me to consume at all. As eggs have become a staple in my back to basics Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I don't offer my hens feed that contains soy. It's a personal health choice.

A good friend of mine gets very ill when she consumes store-bought eggs. I suggested she try getting her eggs from a local organic farm, and she hasn't had a problem since. For some people at least, what we eat can have huge health affects.

spookychick, that is so exciting! Do they have a website, or should I just call them? Do we still have to get it shipped? Can we pick it up somewhere? What are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom