Layer feed

Just be warned, layer feed is for actively laying birds only. And if you choose to feed it, treats must be kept very limited. 

I don't get that...? Why?

My birds free range year round, with mash and whole grain feeds being offered free choice. My feed bill drops from spring through late fall, and peaks during winter. But my best egg production is when there is lots of forage available.

Most layer feeds are about 15% to 16% protein content, which is just barely enough to support egg production. If too many low protein treats are offered, like grains, fruits, or veggies, the birds don't get enough protein for optimum egg production.
Also, the calcium content is too much for birds that aren't laying. All that calcium will build up in the kidneys and eventually cause them to fail.

So my girls are just 16 wks... One is beginning to lay. It's cool for me to start layer feed but hold off on the oyster shell until all are laying? And should I supplement more protein or depend on the 16% layer feed? FYI I'm not big on giving treats at this point, just a few times with fresh greens.

Keep them on grower or starter until they are all laying. Keep crushed oyster shell available separately for those that need it. Once they are all laying, then you can switch to layer feed.

Darn. I already mixed the remaining starter I had with the new layer. Because of the mixed options and opinions I'm hoping to be ok with that. I have my small feeder I used when they were in the brooder, that will work for the oyster shells, but how does just the one or two who are laying get the oyster shells?

Oh, wow, I'd better put my 5 month olds on starter then! We got a good deal on 40 lbs of organic layer crumbles, but they need starter! Thanks! One of my girls/boys (straight run) walks backwards for about 4-8 steps about every other day
. Could this be a calcium OD? Do I need to do anything else?

Oh, wow, I'd better put my 5 month olds on starter then! We got a good deal on 40 lbs of organic layer crumbles, but they need starter! Thanks! One of my girls/boys (straight run) walks backwards for about 4-8 steps about every other day
. Could this be a calcium OD? Do I need to do anything else?
Probably just a bit of a funky personality quirk, or a cockerel trying to figure out how to 'dance'. Make sure the starter is unmedicated.

Back
Top Bottom